Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    There is no such things as "viral marketing," there are only good ideas that have the potential to "go viral." Things "go viral" because they are "cool" and people therefore want to share them with others.

Want to create a "viral campaign"?
    Create something "cool" and give people the means to easily share it.

Even then, it's potentially hit or miss. But at least if you create something cool then it will have been worth it on its own merits, even if it doesn't "go viral."

Everyone is looking for the cheap and easy quick fix. There are none.

Marketing is hard work.

Work hard at it and you will have success.
    My name is Chris Grayson. You can visit my website at: Art Director Or read my blog at: GigantiCo
    As an Art Director and Website Designer, I use many online portfolio communities, including:
    Chris Grayson at Coroflot Chris Grayson at Krop Chris Grayson at Behance
    I also invite you to follow me on Twitter

Member #
    I can almost agree. People want their mundane, hopeless product or service to go viral with some superficial marketing gimmick.

Yet some of the biggest failures were the triumph of cool over effective. Bandwidth costs soar, and sales do pretty much nothing.

Hopefully you mean the product and/or service, in and of itself, is cool? Then there's the whole figuring out what's cool is as tricky as viral issue.

If you want to do viral marketing, you can try to come up with a viral ad, but you’ll probably fail. You’re better off building the viral right into the product, creating a product that spreads because you designed it that way.
    — What is viral marketing? by Seth Godin
    Of course, Seth's insight is more than five minutes old. ...just sayin' Of course, Seth tool the ages old term "unique selling proposition" and made it "purple cow."

What makes an idea viral?
    Is Seth Godin's take on this.

People order "make it viral," like they're at the drive through supersizing an order of fries. Doesn't work that way.

Member #
    Facebook is one of the social networking website which is viral.If you have used it then you would know.It is best for marketing.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I agree with Seth's quote above, but as you well know, DC, not all products or services can have "viral" built-in, and so need a viral ad strategy in order to "go viral". Case in point: Blenders / "Will it Blend?" Without the "Will it Blend?" campaign, the blenders have nothing viral about them. There are, in fact, few products and services that have inate viral capacity at all.

Member #
    I agree with Seth's quote above, but as you well know, DC, not all products or services can have "viral" built-in, and so need a viral ad strategy in order to "go viral".
    I think viral is more work than the 'lil rascals "hey gang, let's slap up a website" zeitgeist, that's all. You need all the parts to work.

Your product must be able to foster good word of mouth. I agree with you on one part, that most products and service are so mediocre, so flawed, they resist positive word-of-mouth like teflon.

No campaign will fix that.

If you had a spare $25, 000 and six months to wait in line, you could hire Gary Bencivenga to write your ad. (BTW, $25K is not media buys, postage or list rental costs, just your entry fee to get him to look at your project).

Bencivenga's advice on this: A gifted product is mightier than a gifted pen. That is not copywriting advice, it's marketing advice.

One advanced concept for designers -- rather their great grandchildren, as I hold out no hope for the current crop -- Designing For Hackability

Mentos and Coke viral craze is essentially a Hack. Trouble is, Mentos people and Coke people had no hand in designing it.

What types of things can be designed into products to make them more hackable? Is several orders of magnitude beyond what designers are even capable of conceptualizing, as hackability design falls under the rubric of design noir and desirability design.

Hack This Product, Please! Explains how companies see hackability design as a move beyond customer-centricity.

Member #
    "No campaign will fix that. "
    Truley, said and nice shared links

Member #
    well most viral anthing happens by almost complete accident when trying to stage a viral it just comes off as a bit of a try hard approach

Eve
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    DC's post on viral marketing is a good read. Personally I am skeptical about forcing viral outcomes: after the initial traffic, there still needs to be content that prompts action from visitors.

Member #
    I dream of having my content go viral some day...

Member #
    Personally I am skeptical about forcing viral outcomes: after the initial traffic, there still needs to be content that prompts action from visitors.
    You are right to be a skeptic. You can't force viral outcomes.

What you can do is study what works and increase your probability of a viral outcome.

Unfortunately, in the purely binary 0 or 1 universe, probability and statistics has no meaning and therefore can't exist. Might as well be talking unicorns and rainbows for all the programming-centric world view sees reality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads