Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi everyone,

So I am a junior web designer who's been given a bit of a chance to try social media - I've been given the task of monitoring and reporting for a client.

I've studied Social Media marketing for some time, and understand the idea behind 'number of fans' and 'number of likes' (in facebook context) being a bit primitive in terms of monitoring and not being the best stats to look at for insight.

I've done some research on what metrics people do monitor for corporate clients, and many are similar to this article:

http://www.socialtimes.com/2010/02/s...media-metrics/

Some of the metrics mentioned are: brand mentions, loyalty, active network size.My question is, how do people measure/quantify this sort of thing? Are there paid tools that 'tap in' to social media profiles to produce stats on this stuff?

Also, I assume this is plotted on a timeline graph or put into some spreadsheet form for the report - does anyone do social media reporting for clients who could enlighten me as to how/what they include?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's an easy way to get most of the information that you want, and the tool itself is free to use.

http://www.google.com/analytics/

Put that on your site. It will tell you where your visitors come from and whether they stay or leave (bounce rate). It will also tell you what pages they visit, etc.

Once you get that on, set up some goals and funnels. Those goals will be site-specific, so yours will differ than anything I'm doing. But here's a simple example...you may want a customer to receive a discount coupon by filling out a survey. Marketing decides that's worth $5.00. So you add $5.00 as the value of the goal. But how you set those goals is up to you and the people you work with, and will probably require some programming.

The rest of it...well, that's just your typical mountain of marketing-related smoke up the ***. Brand mentions...that only works if people say good things about what you're doing and they're not paid to do it (one of the two is usually not the case). Your network size...again, that only matters if they're converting customers, and social media site users have a low conversion rate for most things (mostly because they use the sites with no intention of being marketed to). Blog interaction...well, a blog doesn't suit every site. It doesn't even suit most sites. They require a lot of time and maintenance that most businesses with a half-decent website don't have to invest.

I'm not blaming you, Emma. I'm blaming the people who know absolutely jack all about what they're doing creating an industry based on a house of cards and marketing on sites destined to collapse under their own weight based on their lack of business sense. In other words, get something from the Facebooks/Twitters of the world if/while you can, but don't base your entire marketing strategy on this stuff. Sooner or later, venture capital runs out and without long-term income sources, these sites will eventually die.
    bamme likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    you can even install google analytics on your facebook fan page!

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/h...book-fan-page/

Much better than Facebooks 'insights'

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks very much both of you for the useful posts! Ive actually just finished studying some lynda.com tutorials which have opened my eyes to goals and conversion funnels thru Google analytics - i assume the same concepts and functions are in Google analytics for facebook pages (thanks for the link Harmonic)

however im struggling a bit to get used to the concept behind making the custom reports so i wondered does anyone know any resources whereby tutorials on setting up any basic custom reports are provided?

And/or, can anyone direct me to a place where I can find what you feel is a good social media report, so I can get accustomed to what data is generally presented from the bunch of stuff that can potentially be monitored?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it, Emma. Google/Urchin (the people who actually made the Analytics software) "kind of" have a way to create a custom report. The problem is that it isn't something they have done by default, and in most cases is an absolute bitch to set up. A working knowledge of regular expressions is good to have as well (if you've never heard of regular expressions, study the tutorials online for them and try using them at least 4-5 times before even thinking about doing this). I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything...I'm just trying to point out that this is one of those really advanced concepts in the web design/development realm that 1) isn't explained very well and 2) will probably frustrate you to the point where you'll pull your hair out before you get it.

What you may find more useful (and a whole lot easier) is event tracking. Simply put, you can use the code here to track the things that people do (be it signing up for newsletters, clicking on sponsor links, whatever). As soon as a non-filtered user (if you're even using any filters) activates one of the events, you'll end up with a new report under Content --> Event Tracking. For example, I've used event tracking here to track who clicks on the exhibitor links on the right side of the page.

The other thing you can do, if you're not doing it already, is to ensure that any forms that are filled out successfully redirect the user to a "thank you" page with a different URL that can only be accessed via redirect from the form page after submission. This, in conjunction with your goals and funnels above, will provide a way to track who's signing up for things, who's inquiring about services, whatever.

This is why I can't direct you to a "good social media" report as such. It all depends on what your client wants to know.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ah i see So I'm not a huge fool or a lazy person for thinking "hmm custom reports.. that looks like it will take more months for me to set up, than months we will even be working for this client"? still it'd be really cool to have this set up so i can just export when it's time to send to the client. does anyone know a place i could go to pay someone to set things up like that? like a ga custom report building service??

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaburge, post: 199582
    Hi everyone,

So I am a junior web designer who's been given a bit of a chance to try social media - I've been given the task of monitoring and reporting for a client.

I've studied Social Media marketing for some time, and understand the idea behind 'number of fans' and 'number of likes' (in facebook context) being a bit primitive in terms of monitoring and not being the best stats to look at for insight.

I've done some research on what metrics people do monitor for corporate clients, and many are similar to this article:

http://www.socialtimes.com/2010/02/s...media-metrics/

Some of the metrics mentioned are: brand mentions, loyalty, active network size.My question is, how do people measure/quantify this sort of thing? Are there paid tools that 'tap in' to social media profiles to produce stats on this stuff?

Also, I assume this is plotted on a timeline graph or put into some spreadsheet form for the report - does anyone do social media reporting for clients who could enlighten me as to how/what they include?

Thanks
    People do measure these metrics. Have you tried to measure impressions, interactions, comments, likes, re-tweets, replies? These are more common value added metrics often being used today by social media experts.

Remove Ads