Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    hi everyone

i wondered if someone with more experience in campaign tracking/link tag planning can be of help here.

although currently i am just to be providing my client with basic metrics i want to ready all the url tagging stuff for future more in-depth tracking.

This, i envisage, alongside looking at external sources off the website like email and social media, will involve setting up goals and looking at parts of the site as individual sections, trying to determine which section contributed to the most conversions, alongside which section typically drove people to exit the site, go to another section, etc, and which section people who funneled thru from social media typically went to, which page within the section was most popular, etc.

Their areas of interest, i.e. what stats they want to look at, will vary month to month, and they will 'theme' campaigns across all channels to a specific topic each month. so i have tried to prepare for this accordingly by making sure all links on all the website pages are tagged.

in the spreadsheet here:
    http://www.ameliealden.com/link-tagging-sheet.xls

contains all my proposed tagged urls and the pages/sections they correspond to, under the header "WEBSITE SECTIONS".

ive broken the site down by section into individual site pages. there would be a new tagged url for each link featuring on the sites page, linking to another of the site's pages, with information under "utm_content=" to differentiate each link appearing on the page to the next - for example, a call to action button, and text link embedded in the copy, would have a separate tagged url with the content part of the url describing the link.

As you can see in the spreadsheete, ive used one campaign name for all the website sections (website prompts, or website links), "utm_medium" will specify the site section, and "utm_source" will specify the specific page within the site section.

the site also features little microsites. links all pages of each microsite, for simplicity, i will track under the same source, eg for a Workspace online microsite of 5 pages, all links within all those 5 pages will be tagged as ?utm_source=workspace-online-microsite&utm_medium=microsite&utm_campaign=WOL Microsite , again with the info after utm_content= differentiating multiple links on one page.

Because its the first time ive ever done this, i am very worried ive either over-done it, done it the slow way/overlooked a better way to segment site sections and their individual pages, or in a way that will complicate things for myself, or.. completely done it wrong.

can anyone please have a look and pick holes in what ive done or tell me any better ways to have done this? The spreadsheet is at:

http://www.ameliealden.com/link-tagging-sheet.xls

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    bump.. anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Emma - so sorry - this is way beyond my capabilities at this time.
    In fact I've been hoping someone would answer so i could learn something here!
    Good luck.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I can't even follow your spreadsheet or ultimately what you're trying to do, which probably means you've made this way too complex.

First of all, you've got landing page URLs ending in /index.php. Your landing page URLs that end in /index.php should end in / . That's it, that's all. So that's the first thing. (In case you want a reason for this, search engine duplicate content would be your reason).

Second, if you want to track where people are going and how they got there, why don't you just use Analytics? It shows the pages, it shows the titles of the pages, it integrates with Adwords (which I'm assuming is part of your campaign), and it will allow you to track which campaigns are working based on referrals and which aren't. From the looks of the URLs on the Getronics website, there's some form of rewriting going on anyway, so you don't need to include the PHP extension.

Or am I missing something here?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Clain, post: 217795
    You have to know the algorithms of google.

[Edit: Link removed from quote of deleted post. Shovenose - try not to quote link drops, OK? AlphaMare.]
    You need to be banned.

Remove Ads