Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Last night on Windows Live forum I found a series of posts by someone with Microsoft. Now I can't find it, but he was asking "why they should rank affiliate marketers ahead of the merchants they were promoting."

Does that explain why I cannot find information on Google, just catalog pages? Is that why it is still hard to find content at Bing (although easier than at Google)?

Will content sites have to delete product reviews from their sites?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Having never made much off of affiliate marketing other than as a tertiary ad source (although I have received a few checks from ShareASale just for ****s and giggles), I never really believed it was all that alive. However, I think the reality of the situation is that it's probably not in as good shape for individual marketers as it once was. Again, though, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question as I've generally put forth a token effort and never done any of the hardcore stuff (such as writing reviews of affiliate products) as most of the hardcore stuff always irritated me and seemed just a bit too shady.

In terms of an income source, Adsense kicks the living snot out of affiliate marketing for me. I get a deposit every month from Google. I'm lucky to see a check every three months...it's closer to every four. You only need a click to earn something...you don't need a sale from a site that may not necessarily be geared to make a sale.

I think the other big problem with affiliate marketing is that real information and real ideas on how to promote, the ads that work, the ad sizes that work, the ones that don't, etc. is so fractured and so minimal that it requires far more effort and patience than it's worth. If I have to go through 100 posts on say Digital Pointless, Warrior Forums, or Self-Anointed Expert #5's Marketing Power Warrior Blog to find some nugget of information, I'm going to find myself too pissed off to waste the time to find that nugget.

The one thing I've always felt affiliate marketing needs is a website or a forum or something where legitimate, intelligent discussion can go on and people who can demonstrate actual knowledge (vs. saying they have actual knowledge) can help others. I don't think that's going to happen, though, because anyone with that kind of knowledge generally won't share it because 1) (s)he doesn't have that much of that kind of knowledge and 2) it represents competitive advantage.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226134
    The one thing I've always felt affiliate marketing needs is a website or a forum or something where legitimate, intelligent discussion can go on and people who can demonstrate actual knowledge (vs. saying they have actual knowledge) can help others. I don't think that's going to happen, though, because anyone with that kind of knowledge generally won't share it because 1) (s)he doesn't have that much of that kind of knowledge and 2) it represents competitive advantage.
    Here you have hit on the "key" Game. Know your niche (something you know a lot about), know your market, communicate with them.

Yes, I see this all the time where people are told to create sites that have profit potential whether you know anything or not. They outsource all the content, often unknowingly publishing incorrect information. Some "Guru" told people to create 100 websites. This goes a long way in creating all the junk sites online, all that garbage to wallow through. Fortunately, I believe Google is weeding out most of it with the "Panda" updates.

Ads do very poorly for me. Conversions are around 0.01%, if anyone even clicks on the ad. In context text links do a lot better. A sincere desire to help people goes a long way.

I get affiliate checks every month from a very limited number of merchants. Others not too often; no more than once a year at best.

One merchant asked me to join their affiliate program offering a wide variety of banner ads. I asked if I would be able to create links to individual pages. No, not an option. I declined their offer.

Of course, limiting yourself to topics you are knowledgeable about limits the number of websites you can create, but at the same time, you are able to more fully develop your niche sites.

But the reality is that Adsense still delivers bigger checks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The problem I have with that comment isn't that it's bad...it's that it's good. Good in the sense of "why the hell isn't anyone else saying things like this and posting things like this?" It confirmed a lot of what I was thinking and gave me a bit of an idea for what I want to do with a site I have live and one I'm presently working on.

Mind you, the one thing it didn't do (and to be fair, it probably can't, so no blame) was give me an idea as to what I can do to get a monthly check out of say a ShareASale. I have a very long-term goal (as in a 5-year goal) to get it to pay my car insurance. If I could do that, with Adsense paying the rest of my bills, I'd be quite happy. But that's a whole lot easier said than done.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    What type of product on Share-a-Sale do you want to promote? What problems does it solve? What are the benefits? Assuming it is a high quality product, the answers to these questions would go a long way toward guiding you into a profitable niche.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    I am beginning to wonder, given the search results I mentioned above, if the title and description on a page has gained significantly in importance with the "Panda" updates.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Amazon pays my office rent, my car insurance (2vehicles) and a couple meals out each week. Adsense pays the rest of my expenses with a little left over for travel. Google's affiliate management programs don't pay much but I am still learning the ropes there so can't say what might or might not be possible.

I am over retirement age and single so don't have the expense of raising a family, though that never really ends.

I've had very little (NO) luck with Share-a-Sale programs. Maybe I just haven't found the right merchant.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu, post: 226182
    What type of product on Share-a-Sale do you want to promote? What problems does it solve? What are the benefits? Assuming it is a high quality product, the answers to these questions would go a long way toward guiding you into a profitable niche.
    That's just it...I think most of it is my approach. I don't promote one product...I try to promote several via datafeed, etc. For example, in my bowling alley directory the entire pro shop is drawn from SaS datafeeds. I don't actually review products as such. I'm willing to accept that it is my approach, too.

But then what can I do to make this work with minimal interaction? Probably not much.

For HRF...I've added more products manually and that per user has seemed to work much better. Mind you, that site's still in its infancy and I need to do more content addition to it.

Actually, here's the other problem. Look at this thread...who's talking in it? It's you and I. That's it. No offense dude, but if you're the only other one I've found that even has the slightest idea what I'm talking about (and likely vice versa), where can we take ourselves? You need about 10-15 good brains to get this figured.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226188
    Actually, here's the other problem. Look at this thread...who's talking in it? It's you and I. That's it. No offense dude, but if you're the only other one I've found that even has the slightest idea what I'm talking about (and likely vice versa), where can we take ourselves? You need about 10-15 good brains to get this figured.
    There is only one place I know of where you can find that, but it requires you to be a member. There are a lot of other things included and at 1 time I think you figured out where.

There is still bad advice in the forum but you soon learn who knows their stuff. And then members meet twice a year to share some really good stuff. The first time I went I thought I knew a lot about keyword research but learned so much more. Its a never-ending learning experience. But its not for everyone.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu, post: 226187
    Amazon pays my office rent, my car insurance (2vehicles) and a couple meals out each week. Adsense pays the rest of my expenses with a little left over for travel. Google's affiliate management programs don't pay much but I am still learning the ropes there so can't say what might or might not be possible.

I am over retirement age and single so don't have the expense of raising a family, though that never really ends.

I've had very little (NO) luck with Share-a-Sale programs. Maybe I just haven't found the right merchant.
    I've actually thought about Amazon. Haven't tried it yet, though. Funny you mentioned it. Do they have datafeeds? That would be the optimal situation for me.

Haven't tried Google's affiliate network either. Again, thought about it.

SaS: like I said, I've gotten a few checks from them (3-4 x per year for about 3 years now), but it's mostly due to one merchant that has a datafeed that is specifically geared to the same market as my one site.

By the way, do you know of any web design affiliate lead/sale programs? As in companies that will take leads from other designers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads