Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I found this post taken from a private forum (SBI) and this part made public.

http://forums.sitesell.com/cgi-bin/s...post_id=899434

It might give someone a few ideas. One of the main points is to NOT use too many ads on a page.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1897 times
    Shows a blank page for me, dude.
    I'm an expert in off-page SEO, social media optimization, and repeating everything everyone else says about these topics so that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Fixed link.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com
    Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT!
    New Game: http://www.wats.it
    DWM Software Co. - software . mobile . database . hosting . design

Member #
    Liked
    1897 times
    That's actually somewhat believable.

Don't agree about the text links myself...they actually work well on one of my sites. Most of the rest of that makes sense, though, and it's stuff I've either been considering or didn't think about but may actually work.
    I'm an expert in off-page SEO, social media optimization, and repeating everything everyone else says about these topics so that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I am going to use the headings from William's post but leave out his comments for each one. If you want to see what was actually posted, you still have to follow the link (thanks for fixing it Wired).

#1. Use fewer Adsense ads.
    Too many ads make a page look like spam in my opinion. The real question is where is the dividing line between too many and too few (all ads, not just Adsense). I am still struggling with what to place in the right side column without filling it with ads.

2. Place the top Google Adsense block after one or two paragraphs of text and wrap the text around it.
    I can see what William means in this part. I personally often use a 468X60 immediately after the headline and leave it at that. And just like William, when I reduced the number of Google ads on pages my earnings actually went up slightly.

3. Do not use Adsense text links or image ads.
    I have never tried Google's text links so cannot comment on them. When I did try image ads there was no increase in click-thrus and seemed to be a slight reduction in earnings.

4. Recommend a quality product or service on every page.
    I have often heard that every page on your site should be monetized in some way, but not sure I agree 100%.

5. Give special attention to one affiliate program.
    It does help to become intimately familiar with all the ways you can advertize a program. Link to the home page, category pages, product pages and so on. Each one works differently than the others. It takes trial and error to find out.

Member #
    Liked
    1897 times
    I'll do the same:

#1) I only run one ad block and one text link block on strikespots.com. Experimented with multiple ads at one point a few years back, but never noticed a significant increase or a decline one way or the other. It's hard in my case to measure, though, because the site is always growing.

2) Interesting ad placement spot on Stu's part. My link block is between my subheads and my text, which is probably why it works.

Stu: does a 468x60 block under the header work?

3) Again, the text links work for me. The images really depend on the type. Flash ads have just about the same CTR for me and higher CPC. Images is a 25% lower CTR and a 33% higher CTC. Rich media and animated images are trash.

4) Don't really agree either. Monetization via legitimate, honest recommendation, okay...but your site has to have a model that fits this.

5) This is what I'm guilty of not trying. I get most of my stuff from one affiliate site, but even then I don't pay all that much attention to it.
    fileppoa likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1897 times
    As a followup, just to see what would happen with #3, I've picked a high-traffic ad block on one of my sites and disabled the image ads. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226674
    Stu: does a 468x60 block under the header work?
    Every site is different. On one site I get about a 5% CTR. On others I only get about 2 to 3%.

Member #
    Liked
    1897 times
    I'd take that right about now. My CTR usually hovers around the 1-1.5% mark.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    There are so many variables it is difficult if not impossible to nail down what a CTR should be.
    • Niche
    • Traffic
    • Size of Site
    • Content
    • Quality
    • And probably hundreds more...

I have noticed that CTR improves as traffic increases up to a certain point, then remains more or less constant, at least for me.

Many people consider a CTR of 1 to 1.5% to be very good. A lot depends on the market you are in.