Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    hi,

Newbie here...first post.

I'm currently stepping into the world of freelancing..im ready to go. I have the right skill set, prices are sorted and I have the determination.
    I'm trying to figure out what the best way to promote my services would be? (bear in mind i have a limited budget)
    I am aware of gumtree, facebook etc but i want to try and find a way where I can target companies who dont currently have a website or have a dated/poor one in place.
    There must be sources that provide this info somewhere.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance,

Ben.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's called google...

If there were somewhere you could look up businesses and know if the business has a web site, how old it was.. When it was last updated... Etc... I betcha it won't be cheap...

I know that's not the answer you want to hear... But... The closest thing to finding wether a business has a site ( and actually knows about the business ) is google.

Many time, just entering the business name and address will yield a lot of information about the business ( if they have been around a while ), if they are new ( less than 6 months old ), you should still see something... But that's kind of reactive research ... By the time you get the info, so has others looking for the same info...

Proactive would be to visit local business liscense department or if they have a site... To get names and addreses of newly liscense businesses... But you only get a small sampling for each one you visit as ther are hundreds of businesses created everyday that will never apply for a liscense anywhere... Either because they don't want to pay fees and such or they are not required to have a liscense based on their location.

So what services are you offering ? If you care to share.

Member #
    thanks for your reply, i thought as much to be honest.
    I will stick to the usual methods of marketing and in time i will purchase some google ads etc..i will look into the license department thing as well, thanks for that
    The only reason i asked the question was because i want to avoid cold calling and unethical methods if possible..i want to get off on the right foot.

To answer your question I am offering web/logo design services (hosting at some point too) and online and offline marketing (White hat SEO and flyer design and distribution).

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's good you're open to suggestions.

A word about cold calling ( it's been discussed here in numerous threads ), cold calling on a business with an existing web site can be a very tricky endeavour.

Think about it, how do you approach someone with a web site ( that they may have actually paid really good money for ), and tell them that their site sucks... I mean really, in effect, and site that is up, and you approach them about a redesign... Etc... You're basically saying that in your opinion their site is crap, but you can fix it for them.

I know and have worked with a lot of small businesses over the years and they have told me some really humurous tales of people approaching them about not just their site, but other things.

One guy had his 15 year old daughter create his business web site for him. He liked it for a while, was approached by numerous "up and coming designers" wanting to fix it... He ( the owner knew his site was not the greatest it could have been, but it was providing what he wanted from it ), he had tons of fun with the people approaching him about a redesign...

He would say things like " why do you think my site sucks ", or " are you telling me the beautiful site that my daughter built is crap ? " or "let me give you my designers phone number so you can tell her the site is bad... By the way... The designer is my daughter "...

He eventually got a redesign, but when "HE" decided it was time for a new image... He kept the names of all these people that approached him before... Just so he could make sure not to use them.

Member #
    Thats exactly why cold calling is a no go for me..

I would consider it if I knew the company never owned a website or if they had a generic landing page maybe..

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I remember reading once that business cards are probably the cheapest marketing you can use. They suggested leaving your card with everyone you come in contact with. They might not need your services, but they might know someone that does. Also posting on forums that allow signatures with links in them is another good way to "get the word out". (...and joining your local chamber of commerce is another good way to network/distribute business cards)
    Benny Blanco likes this.

Member #
    this would be a no brainer if i was a tradesman e.g a plumber or tiler. It would be a simple case of leaving ads in shop windows etc. (everyone will more than likely need a plumber at some point) Not everybody needs a website so the marketing needs to be more targeted and can be a little more time consuming.
    Thanks though pingpipe..i will look into your methods also..i have 200+ buissness cards gathering dust atm

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    There are many freelancing sites. Register on them and bid on the projects. That will certainly help u get more work.

Regards,
    Thakkar

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Social networking sites are excellent venues for business promotion. Also, if you have a website, optimize it in such a way that people who are searching online for web and logo design services have a good chance of finding you in search engines.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You know what else is a good idea for business promotion? Not posting generic ad nauseam useless advice while posing as an American when you're from Asia.

I mean...yeah, use social networking sites, do SEO on your site, post on forums, write articles, and for 2012 marketing is about cutting your meat with the blade of a Lady Remington. If you cut your meat with the blade of a Lady Remington, you'll get PageRank +2. No, really. Go try it. You get the fastest PR upgrade with raw blade steaks, but you have to make a clean cut...no stringy bits.
    AlphaMare and RDesignista like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads