Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was wondering if some designers marketers can lend some insight as to how other companies are structured when it comes to web designers/developers and marketing. Just to give a brief background. I have been with the same organization for 13 years as a network admin. We recently took over another organization and I am transitioning into a web administrator position and being given the opportunity to learn .NET after having just received my degree in web design and development. Around the same time the marketing person from the org (who also built their website) we acquired left but has since come back in a "marketing only" position. While I don't pretend to be an expert I do feel like I have to be strong in maintaining control of certain things. The problem is having been in this environment for so long I am not sure where the division of responsibility ends for me and begins for the marketing department. I was originally told that I was "responsible for the website" meaning layout and how content is displayed and development projects/issues, etc. But this marketing guy is pushing back and trying to control how I put something up. The way I see it we need to work together but as long as I am not interfering with his ability to market products than I am not sure he has any say.

I am curious to hear what others have to say more experienced than myself have to say.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sorry to hear that... Went through that years ago... Marketing people that have IT and web design experience are like some doctors that actually have to go in for a procedure...

Hopefully, if your both report to the same person... Have a one on one with that person first... Explain your situation, your concerns and that you NEED SOME OF HIS ADVICE... Tell him/ her that you want to make the right decisions for the business but you expect to have issues if there's not defined roles discussed with everyone concerned.

Ask how they see things structured, and what your options are so that you can move forward in doing your job efficiently for the business.

Depending on the feedback you get from him/her , you can then ask if everyone concerned can get together to discuss business priorities and responsibilities...

I can tell you one of my worst clients was a former it guy that thought just because he built a pretty nice site once, that he knew everything ... He just didn't have time to handle it all...

I made him a deal... I would do things the way he wanted... For 3 months... And for 3 months I would do things they way I thought they should be... Then we'd sit down to over log files and compare...

Long story short, when reviewing log files... It was eve ident that I knew not just a little more than him about getting traffic to the site and converting them...

If there is not a defined set of roles and responsibilities from the beginning... Then shame on the boss for putting you in this position... If there are, but someone's not playing nice, or pushing the boundaries, then a talk with the boss in the context of your concerns for the business shoul make defining roles a little easier.

Remove Ads