Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Video

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    so... upon getting quoted approximately $20,000 from Epipheo Studios (whose name I got from the Yelp! video)... I've decided to make my own.
    I'm kind of following this guide: http://ayank.posterous.com/diy-epiph...***-product-vi
    Anyway, what do you think of my little script I wrote?

XXXXXDemo Video Script

Joe here is a computer user just like you. He keeps his data spread across multiple desktop PCs at home and at work, along with a few laptops thrown in for additional confusion. And of course he's got a tablet and a smartphone, too.

Often, when he's traveling, he find himself missing an important document. For example, one time while he was on a business trip in Europe, he needed a spreadsheet on his computer at work. He had to use a slow and laggy Remote Desktop connection to access his work computer and email it to himself, and then he had to go to his email and download it after waiting a few minutes for the email to arrive. Time wasted? About 15 minutes. Another time, his laptop got stolen out of his room during his stay in Cambodia, and he had to recreate all his documents from scratch. And he lost hundreds of photos from the vacation. Sure, he had backups, but they weren't doing much good on external hard drive in his office. Time wasted? 1 hour. And even when he wasn't halfway across the planet, his system was prone to failure; he wasted an hour of his busy day waiting for the new updates to install on his computer, and he spend hundreds of dollars a year paying for virus removal.

He didn't realize a better way existed. It does! XXXXX brings you your computer, wherever you go! It's an innovative new web desktop. With an incredibly easy-to-use interface, compatilibity with tons of popular document formats, and with totally un-annoying instant updates that, Joe can spend more time getting work done and having fun, and less time wasting time and money on old-fashioned technology. And, in addition, XXXXX is incredible reliable and secure! No more slow virus scans, hour-long updates, or complicated backups; just a pure entertaining web-based user interface! And device, any time, log in to a computer of your own, with your preferences, and your data, with just a username and password!

The best part is? It's free! To get started, just visit XXXXX.com in your web browser and click the Get a XXXXX link on the home page. Enter some quick information, click the activation link in your email, and have everything setup in less than 2 minutes! And if you do need more than 10MB of space, or want additional features, XXXXX Premium is just $20 per month!
    So yeah... opinions? I'll be producing this video myself, since I can't afford to have somebody else do it. But that's alright; it'll be a good learing experience!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You mention secure, but vaguely and in passing ( or that's just my interpretation of what I read ), what kind of security or encryption ? What's to protect my data from you or whomever is running or has access to the server ?

Security is a really big issue for business travelers, one of my clients has 8-10 people that travel all over the world... When they travel internationally... They basically carry a laptop with a VPN and VM client... When they login, their normal desktop is right there. On the server, all of their stufff is encrypted to the point I can't even see it, it can only be recovered from their backup.

They all have access to their mail, calendar, etc... From their phones... ( which can be remotely wiped )... Some travelers never even login to thier pc as long as they plan correctly... They just make sure to email copies of everything they need on their trip to themselves...

So exactly who is your target market ? Sounds interesting but the security thing would be key to my even thinking about using a service like this ( even for personal stuff )...

I'm travelling in a month, would web access from an iPhone be available ?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232706
    You mention secure, but vaguely and in passing ( or that's just my interpretation of what I read ), what kind of security or encryption ? What's to protect my data from you or whomever is running or has access to the server ?

Security is a really big issue for business travelers, one of my clients has 8-10 people that travel all over the world... When they travel internationally... They basically carry a laptop with a VPN and VM client... When they login, their normal desktop is right there. On the server, all of their stufff is encrypted to the point I can't even see it, it can only be recovered from their backup.

They all have access to their mail, calendar, etc... From their phones... ( which can be remotely wiped )... Some travelers never even login to thier pc as long as they plan correctly... They just make sure to email copies of everything they need on their trip to themselves...

So exactly who is your target market ? Sounds interesting but the security thing would be key to my even thinking about using a service like this ( even for personal stuff )...

I'm travelling in a month, would web access from an iPhone be available ?
    HTTPS (SSL) encryption will be put in place. I'll have my "hacker" friend try penetration-testing it. If he fails I'm good to go, with good security!
    The only weak point is that to start out with it'll be on cheap shared hosting. It will be upgrading to something better if it catches on.

In a month, there might be a Beta Ask closer to then and I'll update you.
    There's no way the iPhone App will be available by then, (if there ever WILL be one)... but the mobile version of the site MIGHT be available by then... again it depends on a lot of things.

BY THE WAY. I hope you realize it's not called XXXXX i just didn't want the name floating around.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Really ?

Remove Ads