Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is Alexa Ranking Important?

Member #
    I see a lot of people talking about this, and from what I read, the higher the Alexa ranking, the more you get indexed. Truth? False?

I see they like backlinks from an Alexa traffic panel. What does this mean, and how do you establish this traffic?

Need some opinions on if working on the Alexa ranking is worth the effort for SEO strategy.

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    We normally don't allow link drops, but in this case I'm not only going to make an exception but I'm going to encourage it.

Where did you read that? There is absolutely no truth whatsoever to the idea that Alexa ranking increases indexing in any capacity. Alexa has long been known to be a flawed metric since it favors the "SEO" crowd and since the toolbar makes it easy to manipulate.

Don't waste your time with any stat, ranking, or any other value tied to Alexa.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The reason I'm curious to learning more about the Alexa thing, is because my biggest competitor has a great Alexa ranking compared to mine. So I need to learn more about it, and understand how their getting these ranks up so high.

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    No...you think you do, but you don't. I don't blame you for your thinking, because it's "prevailing wisdom". But you don't...believe me when I tell you this.

Alexa ranking doesn't mean a thing. If you want to increase your Alexa ranking, download the Alexa toolbar and visit your site. Then do it again with a different browser. Then do it again with a third browser. Then find another computer and do it three more times. Then do it as much as you possibly can. If you do it enough times, you'll see some increase in your Alexa ranking...but then watch what it actually does as far as bringing visitors to your site. Won't do a thing for you, man. It just won't. It's at best a faith healing measure.

Let me show you something, using myself as an example:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/strikespots.com#

That's the bowling alley site in my signature. Now, according to it..."and I quote"...:

Top Search Queries for Strikespots.com

Query
    Percent of Search Traffic

prost bowling lanes "kingston"
    15.08%
    victoria bowling lanes
    7.61%
    nativity bowl cornwall
    4.77%
    nativity bowll cornwall
    4.74%
    sunrise strikes
    4.68%
    chatham bowlerama
    4.54%
    frederick bowling
    3.13%
    So apparently those top 7 phrases generate 44.55%, or almost half, of my traffic. Only two of those phrases (#2 and #6) show up in the actual top 10 list of phrases people use to find my site under Google Analytics over the past calendar month, and in both of those cases the percentage of search traffic is less than 1.

So if they can't get this right, how are they supposed to get anything else right to do with competitors? There's no way they, or any other third party tool, can...the tools simply do not have access to the data required to provide an accurate projection, nor would the vast majority of people provide the information required to the general public...there's no good reason for them to do so. I don't blame Alexa or any of the other tools for not having access to the required data...I blame them for projecting as if they do.

Again, you're learning. I'm actually going a lot easier on you than i'm capable of because you are learning. But you're making the mistake most people make at first (and quite often never learn from), and that's to go "I need SEO, this is what everyone else is telling me to do and doing themselves, so I have to do it too." Well, SEO is a subset of design (not marketing, since SEO relates strictly to the things one can control on page). But if you're doing what you're told and what everyone else tells you to do, what are you doing to make yourself stand out? You make yourself stand out and you'll find more of what you want.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Alexa had a really good SCAM going on ... Atone time their toolbar used to display ADS... I don't know if they still do or not, I haven't had their toolbar installed in over 5 years.

I have one client site that I have been managing over 8 years now, the Alexa ranking has never gone over 10% on any of the 40 or so keywords that it can be found on any of the search engines.

Site traffic has gone from around 14k page views a month to over 500k per month, and this is a niche market ... It's been holding at roughly 400k - 500k for the past 2 years ... Last time I checked the Alexa ranking was around 4% on most keywords and 0% ...

SEO ( like the game said ) is about what you can control on your site ... And concerns "search engines"... Not an independent companies perception of where they think your pages should rank...

Alexa has been a scam from day one, its all about advertising for THEM.

You'd be better off getting to know your log files and understanding cause an effect ... Ie. you make a change to your keywords or content, then monitor our log files to see how search engines react to those changes...

Organic rankings on google are 1000 times ore important than any 3rd party ranking system.

Member #
    Ok got it... forget Alexa, and don't pay attention to Google Page Rankings... So should I just watch the page hits?

What in your guys opinion is the correct rankings I should be watching to see my site from my competitors?

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 237996

You'd be better off getting to know your log files and understanding cause an effect ... Ie. you make a change to your keywords or content, then monitor our log files to see how search engines react to those changes...

Organic rankings on google are 1000 times ore important than any 3rd party ranking system.

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Once you understand cause and effect... Then start focusing on conversions...

Conversions being the action you want your visitors to take once they come to the site... Whether it is send an email to you, by something, click on an ad...

That is the end game... Once you can tweak your keywords, content etc... To get the right visitors there... And you provide a compelling enough reason to convert them... Then you have completed your task...

But don't think it's that simple... It's not... That's why wannabe SEO gurus are scamming people left and right... If it were simple and easy, then anyone could do it... Then all markets would be saturated... And you start all over again, trying to one up your competition...

Surprisingly many successful SEO campaigns don't even focus on "high hitter" keywords... Because they are high value... Their is massive amounts of competition... And those markets targeting those keywords are saturated .... Hotels for example .... Searching the generic term for hotel and even hotel in a specific metro area will always turn up the top industry booking companies or subsidiaries... A small mom and pop can't compete at that level... They don't have the budgets to compete in those markets.

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Learning, post: 238031
    Ok got it... forget Alexa, and don't pay attention to Google Page Rankings... So should I just watch the page hits?

What in your guys opinion is the correct rankings I should be watching to see my site from my competitors?
    There isn't one. There is no single measure, nor is there a series of measures that can be collected, to let you know how you're doing in relation to your competition.

If you're rank checking, you're probably going to get messed with. Google in particular likes to screw with SEOs and wannabes, and most of them make it pretty easy (rank checking while signed into Google accounts, using the same browsers, etc.)

If you're studying competition, again it comes down to "why would the competition tell you or any other third party what they're doing?" There's no sane reason on the planet why they should, and the tools that are out there that will provide "competition analysis" might as well have monkeys chucking darts at boards...it'll accomplish just about as much. The only tools in third party tool sets are the tools that build them and try to convince others that they've done something useful.

The best tool you can use to figure out whether or not you're distinguishing yourself from your competitors is your accounting package. Since you're tracking your sales in it, start pulling out income statements...if your revenue and income are going up, then you're on the right track and only minor tweaking may be required. If not, adjust accordingly. You're not going to find an Alexa or an SEMRush or an SEO Book or any other tool set that will help you.

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 238038
    Their is massive amounts of competition...
    I should bust you with the Super Greg DJ Mix quickness for not using "There are" here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads