Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    hi folks,

I have a web client who is wanting to broadcast "webinar type" events from his mac-based home office. He wants to reach audiences of 200 to 1,000 people this way, with a combo of live audio / video / powerpoint type presentations.

I've checked out 2 systems, Adobe Connect and Desire2Learn, both which are prohibitively pricey. We're looking at either a web-based (server-side managed) solution that one would "log in" to, to use, or a software / hardware solution installed @ home, that runs, hopefully on Mac.

thanks for any ideas or suggestions ...

Gary

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They're probably prohibitively pricey because they're bandwidth-intensive. Most of the webinar-type stuff (LogMeIn, GoToMeeting, etc.) tends to be in the expensive category.

Can your client throw his stuff onto YouTube, maybe? IIRC, they have a way to restrict who sees the video.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I think the client wants to do it live, in the moment. Not like in YouTube where you have to upload THEN view.

You have to make sure your client has sufficient internet capability.

Member #
    yes, the client is interested in Live Broadcast only ... thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Worked at a company a couple of years ago that used Adobe Connect to do daily webinars to groups. Unless they've massively improved it, I'd skip it.

Is this a temporary need or a long term need to do live broadcasts?
    How often does he want to do them (daily, weekly, etc)?
    Does he have a budget in mind?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Netmeeting ( goto meeting ), has structured pricing packages, and the only reason we use it is because most people running a current and up to date browser can access it without having to download and install anything as it runs on the current flash player and current activeX components. And is completely platform independant.

Pricing is also based on "content", people doing "promotional" type webinars will pay more than "educational" or non profit webinars.

I've heard they have a package for some non-profits that is really cheap based on how many attendees, it works out to their cost.

Windows does have a "media server" platform that could be setup to do this, but you have to have the server, pay the liscense fees for the software and bandwidth ( must be scalable for the numbers you're talking about )...

The problem with trying to run something at home, would be HIS connection... You could use a Skype type thing, but after about 4-5 external connections sharing his home connection, it would get choppy and eventually just stop.

For the client base you're talking about, you'll HAVE to go with a hosted solution.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    IDEA! what if you used software like manycam, and something to mix the live video *cough wirecast cough* than broadcast using ustream embedded in a webpage that you have to log into!

http://helpcenter.ustream.tv/content...ing-broadcasts
    http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm

http://manycam.com/
    http://helpcenter.ustream.tv/category/tags/private

Hope it works! P.S. all software if free except for wire cast but I'm sure there's a free program that does what you need it too!
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    uStream has ads that interrupt the video feed randomly. Not exactly a professional solution.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    If thats not ok, than try twitch.tv you can actually choose when the ads play. for example, if the client needs to take a break for some reason (Like to get some water or go to the bath room) he can play some ads while he is afk!
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's not bad, actually.

"We'll return to this conference after these messages from our sponsors."
    * peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *
    "Do you ever get up in the morning and you just don't feel fresh? If you do, and you're a guy, you've got problems. But if you're a girl, get Canesten!"
    Noteleklabs likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads