Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello I'm new in this forum, I would like to ask some tips for dealing with new costumers, what and how to say to impress them and get a project from them. please share your experience it would be very helpful

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Its not what I SAY that impresses new clients, its what I show them that I can do.

I've heard so many lines and so many promises from other designers, only to find out that they actually can't do half of what they say they can do... That if you can explain in detail how you did something, then they probably didn't do it.

I get all new clients a referrals from former and current clients, I don't knock on doors, but if I had to, I would give them a list of sites I've done, a list of collaborative projects I've worked on, a list of past projects that I've completed....

If you have none of the above, I always encourage people starting out, to go find some worthy causes and volunteer your time to do some work for them. Here is the US, there are tons of non-profit organizations looking for volunteers to design/redesign - develop web sites for them.

By doing that, you get a site to out into your portfolio, they get assistance. Most are very willing to also write letters of recommendations ( which also help impress new clients ).

I quit listening to what people say they can do a long time ago, because quite frankly, people either overdo or underdo their resumes and put what they want me to know.

I recently hired a guy for a client to do web updates, not because of his portfolio, although it was decent, it was for his past work history that had nothing to do with web design. He was a good fit for my client because he had worked in the same industry years ago, and had a good grasp on the knowledge to help my client put into words what they needed for their site. Yes, he had web skills, and those will probably develop overtime, but he was hired for knowledge that was helpful to the client as a content copyrighter.

Member #
    Webzarus,

Thanks for your post it was very helpful.

one more question, is there any statistics how web site helps of increasing company's selling in different fields? and please also tell me your frequent phrases with clients which works on them and impress them

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1. No... Every business is different, every market is different.. Every business potential clients are different.

2. Each client is different, their needs are different, their reasons for wanting a site are different, their reasons for calling me are different. What I may say to one client, may have no effect on a different client.

The only thinks that I can honestly say carries over and is applicable to each and every client, but I don't think it really sells or impresses any of them... " a web site is the cheapest form of marketing that any business can have, and its the only form of marketing that can be truly measured".

Web design is so much more than just making pretty pages, I know companies that paid thousands of dollars and got a great looking web site, but the people that built the site knew nothing about web marketing, monitoring, statistics, or server limitations, so that 10k site actually got them absolute zero business. I know other companies, that built their own site, took some marketing classes, sent time watching the logs and adjusting things, and they do more web business than they do walk in business.

There is no "silver bullet" answer to your question.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Getting
    Quote Originally Posted by Giorgi Tsibadze, post: 249386, member: 35925
    Hello I'm new in this forum, I would like to ask some tips for dealing with new costumers, what and how to say to impress them and get a project from them. please share your experience it would be very helpful
    It is not very difficult as it seems to be , word of mouth, buzz marketing works when you reach a different level . To start with a new concept and to get your first few clients to start with will take sometime , I started with freelancing which really helped me somewhat in getting the idea about the market and I met new people during this time who hired me to work with them , these people for whom I worked as a freelancer often refer me to others and this is how it is working for me for now as I have being working since 15 months now and I'm also very much interested in learning from experienced people I feel one should keep on experimenting with new ideas in the beginning.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There's a really old saying " A Picture is worth a Thousand Words", today, a "web portfolio" is worth a lot more than that.

Even if you just create some sample sites, it will give your potential clients the opportunity to see what your skills are and or if they think your style will work for them. The more versatile the design samples you show them, the more chances you have to show them something they will possibly like or appeal to them.

Member #
    " Here is the US, there are tons of non-profit organizations looking for volunteers to design/redesign - develop web sites for them."

Can you tell me a list of non-profit organizations you say? I am interested to learn new things.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There isn't such a list compiled...if there were, it would be a neverending, always-changing list of organizations as their design/development needs were filled, changed, and/or evolved.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/virtual.jsp?v=true

This is constantly changing based or organizations needs...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    And these are only the ones that actually know about it... I try to encourage people going this route to try looking around their local area, seekin out opps there, you get a lot more actually working face to face ... But virtual opportunities will give you a chance to get some real world experience under your belt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads