Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Through market research, we've gained a better idea of our target audience; thus, we want to revamp our website and overall web presence, including YouTube videos.

Our services are focused on real estate owners and real estate investors located here in the Metro Detroit (Michigan) area.

Based on our research (and logic), we've identified that our target audience:

1. Live in the Metro Detroit area
    2. Are males
    3. Are aged between 45-54 years of age

With this information, I'd like to get a better idea of:

1. The ideal font size for copy on our website
    2. The colors that would best fit this demographic
    3. The appearance and style of conversation that's likely to build rapport w/ this demographic (for videos)
    4. The type of copy that would have the best chance of connecting with this demographic
    5. Ideal website layout

We are going to eventually hire a copywriter to do the final draft of the website copy.

But in the meantime, I'd like to create it myself.

From what I understand, a deep understanding of the target market for our services is vital for a good copywriter.

Because of this, I figured that the research I've done could help both myself, as well as the copywriter down the line.

My question:

How might I go about obtaining information that would help me get a better idea of items 1-5 listed above?
    So far, I've been told that Arial font size 14 would be optimal, due to the fact that many of my target market might wear glasses. I was also told that I should use the colors white and blue for the overall theme of the site.

Do you agree with that?

Thanks for your time and help

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not from Metro Detroit, and I'm "only" 36 years old, but I think I can give you some of the advice.

1) Font size is relative on screen. That means that point/pixel sizes are irrelevant, as they're relative to what the user has set up on his/her screen anyway. Percentages and ems are the usual unit of measure for font sizes, and they're relative to the size of the user's text on the device (s)he is viewing your site on. This in turn is based on screen resolution, size of the screen, if the user has elected to adjust the default font size for his/her text, and a few other things.

In other words, your 14 pixel font measurement might be accurate for print (i.e. if people print your pages), but not for screen. The default equivalent to 14 pixels would be 87.5% (since the default font size with no adjustments is 16 pixels), but again, that won't be true in all cases. So I don't fully agree with the statement, but there's some basis of truth to it.

2), 3), 4) and 5)..."depends". White and blue could work. White and red, given your target market and your location (Hockeytown, USA) could work. You could play the US patriot angle and go red, white and blue. A dark layout could work. A light layout could work. Anything in between could work. Every successful site is different and has a unique aspect to it that works, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. I even built a site once on a blue and pink background that sold $20,000 worth of event tickets in a single week (as in dark blue/hot pink). I'd say your color guess is a reasonable guess, but I'm not going to go and say "yeah, white and blue will work". It may not, and even if it did, there are a ton of blue shades that you'd have to go through.

The colors, though, aren't especially important. The content and the unique selling proposition is what will convert. This is where I think your thinking comes off the rails a bit. If you try to build a successful website based on colors, the language you think people will want to hear, type of copy, then you may be missing the point. The point is that you want to offer something that no one else can offer and that has some value to the 45-to-54-year-old men. It doesn't sound like you have that figured out...if you did, you'd probably have more knowledge of your target market and a lot of these questions would answer themselves. What is it that they want? What is it that you can offer them that matches what they want?

The one thing I will say as far as "style of conversation" and "rapport" is that you want to communicate to them, not at them. The difference is "I/we" vs. "you". Excessive use of "I/we" usually makes the communicator sound like a complete blowhard, and "you" means the communicator is trying to establish a two-way form of communication and come up with a solution that will help both sides.
    From what I understand, a deep understanding of the target market for our services is vital for a good copywriter.
    Forget a copywriter...it's vital for your business, period. If you don't know who you're targeting, what they want, and how to deliver it to them, then your entire operation is shot.

By the way, if the user Webzarus pops up and he disagrees with anything I've said, defer to him over me. He's 52 years old and thus would be in your target market (if he lived in Detroit).

By the way, it's probably a good thing to target Detroit. I just drove through Michigan last week. Detroit's like Rome. All roads lead there.
    In Port Huron on I69 westbound? The I94 goes to Detroit, you know.
    In Flint? I75 goes to Detroit, you know.
    I69 south in Lansing? I96 goes to Detroit, you know.
    I69 approaching I94? If you go east, you can go to Detroit.
    I94 westbound in Indiana? You can turn around and go to Detroit.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I know exactly what they want, I just didn't mention it in my post. Knowing what they want, however, didn't enlighten me to the tone and such that would resonate with people in this demographic, being that I'm not a part of that demographic.

Of course, I could very well be over thinking things as far as connecting with them is concerned, I tend to do that here and there.

Forget a copywriter...it's vital for your business, period.
    You lost me there. You said "forget a copywriter", then you said copywriters are vital.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, to clarify, I meant that understanding a target market is vital for your business. If you don't have that understanding, no copywriter in the world is likely to give it to you.

Knowing what they want should help you with the tone as well. If you know they want Service X, then make sure Service X is at the forefront and explained clearly, concisely, and with as little corporate marketingspeak as possible (the 45 and up crowd is way too smart for that BS).

I tend to agree that you may be overthinking the problem. Most good sales is predicated on a simple formula...know what your target market wants, and put it in front of them. If you can do that, and it sounds like you're at least halfway there, then you're fine.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads