Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone my name Kevin and it is great to be here. I have a brick wall (to me at lest) that I cannot get through or around, I am trying to do my own web designing thing. The issue I am having is when I get an email about a site that needs to made I ask all required questions and give them a quote on how much I would charge. Next thing I know I get no emails back, my question is, when I offer a new customer a website should charge them a build cost then monthly low payment (hosting) after, or should I do what other companies are doing and just charger a higher monthly payment and build the site for free basically? I do have own web sever that I rent so I can host the sites I make, do emails etc.

Thanks,
    Kevin.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you think the price is the reason you get no emails back, you're probably wrong, and here's why...it doesn't explain all buyers. Yes, there are some cheap people on the planet who don't like swallowing one big payment at once, but there are also those that don't care.

What I would suggest you do is look at each of your past several contacts...find out where they came from, if they were really interested or just price shopping, whether you paid for some form of advertising that isn't working for you (e.g. phone book advertising), what you offered them, whether you established a unique selling proposition, etc.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I get a dozen or so request "via email"... Not sure how they get my email, but I never, ever, just give out prices.

I'm in a different situation as the majority of my clients were referred from other clients... Occasionally, I guess my business cards get passed around, or someone passes my email address's off to someone else... So I get the occasional "how much do you charge"...

I Never, give the a price as a response, but I do follow up with pertinent questions to help me determine where they are at ? What they are looking for ? What is their expectation ? Etc...

If they don't answer, its usually because they are price shopping ( and that's ok, if the price is all that concerns them, I typically don't want to do business with them anyway ),

Even after getting some answers, if they are serious and are looking for more then the "cheapest way to have a web site", they will actually answer my questions... I they are in my local area, I request a time a place that we can meet to discuss... If they are not in my local area, I request a time that we can talk on the phone... I call them at the time they ask...

As we are talking, I'm sending them emails of the research I've already done ( if they have a site already, etc... Their competition ( sometimes they don't even know who their competition is ), suggestions as to comparing them to their competition, what they need to do to SERIOUSLY COMPETE, etc.... ), depending on the answers I get, I'll then work up a quote...

If you're wanting to compete for the "cheap and fast", I have absolutely zero advice for you... As everyone and his brother with half an eye ( and some with less ), is competing in that market...

As for doing a "free" web site but making up the difference in your "hosting cost"... I think you will find that, unless you get your money "up front"... Before the site goes live, you'll be spending more time with the month to month collections than designing... ( not why I'm in the industry )...

Not trying to put any particular group in a stereotype... But the "cheap as I can get" clients are usually to first to bail on a contract... Since they have very little money at stake... They figure you won't bother with small claims court for a couple hundred bucks... Which is usually true.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I know many that have been down the same road you're trying to go, thy usually last long enough to build a portfolio... And realize they are spending way too much time just trying to eeeek out a few bucks, instead of doing what they came into this industry for.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 251700, member: 27723
    I get a dozen or so request "via email"... Not sure how they get my email, but I never, ever, just give out prices.

I'm in a different situation as the majority of my clients were referred from other clients... Occasionally, I guess my business cards get passed around, or someone passes my email address's off to someone else... So I get the occasional "how much do you charge"...

I Never, give the a price as a response, but I do follow up with pertinent questions to help me determine where they are at ? What they are looking for ? What is their expectation ? Etc...

If they don't answer, its usually because they are price shopping ( and that's ok, if the price is all that concerns them, I typically don't want to do business with them anyway ),

Even after getting some answers, if they are serious and are looking for more then the "cheapest way to have a web site", they will actually answer my questions... I they are in my local area, I request a time a place that we can meet to discuss... If they are not in my local area, I request a time that we can talk on the phone... I call them at the time they ask...

As we are talking, I'm sending them emails of the research I've already done ( if they have a site already, etc... Their competition ( sometimes they don't even know who their competition is ), suggestions as to comparing them to their competition, what they need to do to SERIOUSLY COMPETE, etc.... ), depending on the answers I get, I'll then work up a quote...

If you're wanting to compete for the "cheap and fast", I have absolutely zero advice for you... As everyone and his brother with half an eye ( and some with less ), is competing in that market...

As for doing a "free" web site but making up the difference in your "hosting cost"... I think you will find that, unless you get your money "up front"... Before the site goes live, you'll be spending more time with the month to month collections than designing... ( not why I'm in the industry )...

Not trying to put any particular group in a stereotype... But the "cheap as I can get" clients are usually to first to bail on a contract... Since they have very little money at stake... They figure you won't bother with small claims court for a couple hundred bucks... Which is usually true.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I know many that have been down the same road you're trying to go, thy usually last long enough to build a portfolio... And realize they are spending way too much time just trying to eeeek out a few bucks, instead of doing what they came into this industry for.
    Thank you so much for your input, and I am not looking to do "cheap and fast". I really don't like using templates, I like to create my own site to the clients needs. It is just kind of hard because of companies just charging monthly. I will take this a reread it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, companies charging monthly isn't your issue. They've been around for years and they're not much of a threat because they're usually pretty rigid and inflexible as far as what they can do and how.

Like WZ and I said, there are probably several other factors at work here.
    Webzarus likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I might add, until you actually have an established portfolio to show potential clients your skill level and abilities, "something that shows visually" you're not competing with the 5 pages for $99 crowd... Many will assume that is what you are offering.

How do you build a portfolio ? I encourage people that are "driven" to be I this business... Find some local non profits... Or worthy organizations to work with for free or "at cost"...

No... You won't make any money... But the experience, the portfolio items, the recommendations you will get, will be worth more than the money you might make off of "doing them cheap and charging monthly ", crowd... The "soft skills" you learn doing this will be a bonus ... You'll get to hone your skills in "what to ask", "how to ask it"... ( invaluable skills that many are lacking ), and if you can't find any local non profits... There are several sites that allow them to post their wants and needs and all you have to do is find one that interest you...

I personally try to take on at least 1 non-profit a year ... Most times they have an existing site that just needs "refreshing"... Sometimes they are starting "fresh".. But they almost always have money and or resources for their own hosting package... So your actual cost is just "time invested"...

If you have the drive and like "constant learning"... You can be successful in this industry.

Member #
    I never thought about doing non-profit to build my portfolio, that's a good idea. As of right now I only have one site that I want to show in my portfolio, the other site has CMS and the client has done nothing to it. Thanks for your input Webzarus. Im and going to PM you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What you can also do, and it's how I landed my first client, is to create a site for yourself. Pick something you're interested in, screw around, and come up with something. I created a humor site that became incredibly popular in 1998-1999, I showed it to an old boss of mine, and he hired me to do his web stuff.

It's another way to build your portfolio and you might get paid a little from advertising on the side.

Remove Ads