Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: hyphenated domain names are ok?

Junior Member 360DigitalCreations's Avatar
    Member #

hyphenated domain names are ok?

Hi guys,

I want purchase a new domain, but i can't find a domain name close to my keyword. Can I go with hyphens in between the words. OR one more choice with other domains .us, .net etc..

Suggest me a better option, whether hyphenated domains will benefit anyway?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My 17 Year Old Self Printed Out This Forum Thread | ManagingCommunities.com: Community Manager Blog

That'll answer your question. Hyphenated domain names for "SEO reasons" were stupid when they were first conceived and they are now.

If you're looking for a domain with your keyword in it, you're probably doing it wrong. Look at it this way...eBay, Amazon, and every news site doesn't have their keywords in their domain name. There are millions of sites that don't as well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Personally I feel that there's just correlation that hyphen domains perform badly and not causation.

Hyphen domains are usually owned by people who don't want to spend serious money to get a good domain. And so they don't spend much money on marketing or link building.
    And as a result they don't perform very well.

So it's easy to assume hyphen URLs aren't very good. But it's more likely the behaviour of the people who create them.
    For example, I had a really good hyphen.blogspot.com blog which performs brilliantly to this day! (I sold it, but that's another story - and yes, I know that you can't legally sell a blogspot)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I never liked the phrase "correlation and not causation". In order for there to be a correlation, there has to be a cause for the correlation...otherwise, it's just an association in someone's mind.

In this case, though, there's definitely some causation. Google started issuing warnings back in 2011 about this very thing and then issued a few Tweets stating that they had rolled out an EMD-specific algorithm update. I never understood why they used Twitter exclusively to spread the message when they could have used their own properties (e.g. YouTube, the Google webmaster help section), but they did. So there definitely is a cause and effect.

No one really said hyphenated domains in and of themselves weren't very good as such. The problem is the EMDs with hyphens that target specific phrases...it was generally a useless idea back in the day (as it ignored type-in / direct traffic) and never explained how sites such as Amazon, Facebook, eBay, and most news sites showed up for various queries) If you've got one that works, then by all means use it...but it's unlikely that you do.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I've never been a fan of hyphenated domain names. They usually sound awkward when spoken (especially when there is more than one hyphen). It's more worthwhile from a marketing standpoint to come up and brand a creative domain name than use a one with a bunch of dashes between keywords.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    you-think-this-sounds-awkward.com?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    think about this...

you're talking to a potential customer on the phone ( yes, people actually do still use phones for business )...

and you say, "well, you can get that information on our web site"...

and the customer say "what's your site's name"

using TheGames example above... you SAY it to them "you DASH think DASH this DASH sounds DASH awkward.com"

and they ask ...

"can you spell that for me?"

by the third "DASH" , "yeah, right above the p key on your keyboard"....they will hang up or curse you and hang up.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To be fair, if a business is using you-think-this-sounds-awkward.com for a domain name, that business probably has more issues than Sports Illustrated.

Member #
    Well adding keyword in domain is very bad according to EMD update. Better way is choose combination of both i.e Business brand name + keyword. If you are getting hyphenated domain names the it also not not bad but try to find out without hyphenated domain.

Remove Ads