Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Facebook Folly

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Facebook Folly

Hi again folks.

Happy to say my website is coming up to speed. So much so that I'm going to start promoting it on Facebook.

But my plan has run into a serious obstacle which I'm hoping someone here sees a way around or can provide information on why I'm stymied.

On my personal FB page, I have a tab up top "Find Friends." With this tool I discovered I could search the entire FB universe for people who list a certain interest. In my case, the relevant interest is Golf.

My idea was to connect with as many of these golf fans as I could and invite them to follow my page, which is devoted to reviewing golf courses. Once I built up my numbers on my Golf Facebook page, I felt I could advantageously use the data to market my site, which will be linked to from FB.

Only problem is that last night after establishing my Golf page, to my horror I found that not only is that "Find Friends" tab not part of my page, but that I'm even unable to follow other Facebook users from that page.

I was able to send out "invites" but only to people who follow me on my personal page.

What's going on here? Why does it appear that this new FB page of mine is so severely restricted? Is it because I already have a personal page and any new pages don't get the same networking privileges?

As it is, people can only "like" my new page, there is not even an opportunity to "Follow" me.

I'm hopeful that I'm overlooking a simple setting and nothing more sinister is at work to keep me from carrying out my admittedly equally sinister plan.

Does anyone have any insights into this or experience?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    I am not a Facebook expert. I don't even like Facebook. But the latest I have read about them is that they want you to pay to promote your business page.
    Can you still "share" posts on your business page? Can you join groups from your business page? There must be several groups about golf - join some, even if you can only do so from your personal page.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    This is not a result of anything you have done. FB did this deliberately to these types of pages. They say its to prevent spamming and just allow users that actually like the page to follow. Also, by "liking" your page they are following it in a sense that when you post something it will be seen as if you added the page as a friend.

The only way to get what you want would be to create the page as a personal page, but keep in mind FB doesnt like people doing this and you may lose the page if you chose to do that.

I am the same as Stu, i dislike Facebook and deactivated my account almost immediately! Thats more personal reasons but he is right that they want your money not for you to succeed. I personally wouldn't worry about Facebook and focus on networks like Twitter which allow businesses to connect better to their customers.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Great help both. Puts a major dent in my marketing objectives, unfortunately, but very glad to know what I'm up against. Thanks very much.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As a follow-up, unless I'm mistaken, I don't even think I can create the page as a personal page. I was not given that option, presumably because I already have such a page up. I'll see whether I might be able to do it by proxy.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You would have to sign out and create a completely separate account..

Like i said Facebook doesn't like this and will eventually remove this page so its not worth it in my opinion.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alloverthemap View Post
    Great help both. Puts a major dent in my marketing objectives, unfortunately, but very glad to know what I'm up against. Thanks very much.
    What if you post on your Golf page, and then SHARE the posts on your personal page to get visibility?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This option is disabled for pages. Only profiles can invite. They did this because they want us to pay for the ads. That's not such a bad idea. If you do the targeting well and do it only from time to time, you won't spend too much money.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lunagraphica View Post
    What if you post on your Golf page, and then SHARE the posts on your personal page to get visibility?
    Only saw this idea now. Thank you. I will try to employ it until someone at FB figures out my end run!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I will strongly consider this. But as you say, the targeting must be very well-conceived to give it a chance at being cost-effective.

Remove Ads