Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How much should I charge?

Member #

How much should I charge?

Hi everyone

I am new in this forum, and I wanted to ask a question that bothers me for a while...
    I want to work as a freelancer. How much should I charge?

I am a computer engineer that just got his degree, but I want to work as a web developer, with specialty in 3D graphics (webGL-ThreeJS, i have an experience of 2+ years developing with them). My skills are: Java,Javascript,MySQL,XML,JSON,CSS3,HTML5,C,jQuery and other small stuff. I also have a fair knowledge of the new Web Adio API. I have much experience with projects, deadlines etc.

Let's say that my living expenses are not very high. How much should I charge per hour? How much does a junior web developer charges ?

I want a range and an explanation, because I understand that an exact price depends on other things also.
    I just want to get an idea of how to manage these things.

Every, but every opinion is welcome

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    It is illegal to discuss pricing on a forum like this, but even if it wasn't we could not help you.

There are so many variables that go into cost that it would be impossible for us to help.

Look into competition in your area, consider your skill set, even consider your self worth. How much is that time worth to you?

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    It is illegal to discuss pricing on a forum like this, but even if it wasn't we could not help you.

There are so many variables that go into cost that it would be impossible for us to help.

Look into competition in your area, consider your skill set, even consider your self worth. How much is that time worth to you?

Ok, thank you very much for your answer

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's legal where I am, but that's not really the point.

Basically, it's a simple question of supply and demand economics tailored to you, kwdeveloper. As Vapr_Arts pointed out, it depends on certain factors: where you live, what you know, how far you're willing to travel, who's hiring, who you're competing against. Where you may have an edge is as a Java/JSON developer, although neither would be overly significant in that Java never really has caught on and JSON is loosely associated with it, even though they're not really the same thing.

So that's why we can't really answer your question, as Vapr_Arts said.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Oh man, I also came here to have an idea of what to charge for my next project. I'ts a simple website.... html, css, java.... Maybe some flash. I just didn't have an idea of what to charge in the beginning..... It shouldn't be that hard, maybe I can charge for the design, and a fee for every page I add to the site, and if I add the flash feature well, I can charge a fee for that as well.

Common sense I guess.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Wallace View Post
    Oh man, I also came here to have an idea of what to charge for my next project. I'ts a simple website.... html, css, java.... Maybe some flash. I just didn't have an idea of what to charge in the beginning..... It shouldn't be that hard, maybe I can charge for the design, and a fee for every page I add to the site, and if I add the flash feature well, I can charge a fee for that as well.

Common sense I guess.
    Flash? Id expect a discount if you wanted to use flash.. One that would allow me to pay someone else to create whatever it is you made in flash so that it worked. Flash is garbage man! Id forget about using it personally.

Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #

So what would you consider better than flash?

Flash? Id expect a discount if you wanted to use flash.. One that would allow me to pay someone else to create whatever it is you made in flash so that it worked. Flash is garbage man! Id forget about using it personally.

Maybe flash isn't the best, I hear people saying "flash is garbage" just like you did right in the message... What would you consider better? html5? This is my second gig, I went to school to learn code, I love it, and I'm trying to land a position in the marketing dept for the company I work for right now.

Right now I have a gig to build a website, and I"m working on it. So, back to the flash subject. Let me know what would you consider better.

Thank you for your opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You went to school to learn to code? Did they recommend flash?

It depends on what you want to accomplish. HTML5, CSS, Javascript all have specific things that they do. Id assume you would know this if you went to school for it but since you are using flash I'm wondering how good of an education they offered you so ill break it down.

HTML will handle your sites structure. CSS handles layout and style. javascript handles user interaction and functionality. A combination of these three languages handle all of the front end of a website. For backend you will be looking at PHP and MSQLi.

Member #
    You went to school to learn to code? Did they recommend flash?

It depends on what you want to accomplish. HTML5, CSS, Javascript all have specific things that they do. Id assume you would know this if you went to school for it but since you are using flash I'm wondering how good of an education they offered you so ill break it down.

HTML will handle your sites structure. CSS handles layout and style. javascript handles user interaction and functionality. A combination of these three languages handle all of the front end of a website. For backend you will be looking at PHP and MSQLi.

They didn't recommend anything, they just show students how to render content... Yes I know html, I consider html the "skeleton" the form of the website, and css to me is like the skin, and make up so to speak. I learned some stuff in school and I learned the rest on my own... I understand what you're saying... So a good alternative to flash? would it be java instead. Keep in mind I am not an experienced web designer, which is why I'm coming to this forum for some help.

I had in mind of only using html, css and javascript... And also, some php mysql as well... I wasn't too sure about flash. I might not use it, since many people tell me it isn't too good of an option.

I also went to school a few years ago, in 2011 is when I stopped assisting, and learned the rest on my own by reading, I love reading information and learning. So, as you can see I have to brush up on my skills, which what I'm doing right now.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Theres nothing wrong with being self taught. I personally hate the way our (in the states not sure where u are) education system is tied so tightly to careers. You can learn just as much on your own and save tons of money. Our education system is a scam in my opinion! But enough for that rant! Lol

First off you mentioned java. Although you may not have meant it or known but java is a language itself and it is NOT the same as javascript! A member here put it perfectly in my opinion, the gist of his comparison was java is no more related to javascript than ham is related to a hamster. Sorry Ron! Cant remember the exact way it was worded but i hope that makes sense.

What you will want to use is javascript, not java. The 5 languages i mentioned are what most modern sites run on. Php can be substituted for some other backend language but that is what i know most about.

You may also want to look into jQuery. Its a javascript library that makes some Js functions easier to accomplish. I got the hang of jQuery and it allowed me to understand how to create my own code in Js but its not required at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads