Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Newb question

Member #

Newb question

Hi

I currently work in banking but studied web design at uni a few years ago and i've been looking at careers in Digital and Digital Marketing looks really interesting.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on where to educate myself so i can find out more and also where to get information to try to get into the field.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cee

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    By the use of Uni i will assume you aren't in the states. So you may or may not have different resources and options.

What i'd do is start by doing just what you are doing now. Join a forum and ask people in the line of work. This is a webdesign forum so it may not be the best place but we definitely can answer questions if you are more specific. Keep in mind we all come from different places so not all advice will be the same.

Digital Marketing is kind of a blank term. It could mean different things to different people. Explain more on what it is you want to do and what you have learned. Digital Marketing makes me assume you have marketing skills but i have met a man who took a similar program and realistically it should have been called Graphic Design.

I guess what im saying is be more specific. More specific about what it is you know and are curious about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Thanks for the reply Vapr, in my studies we dealt with primarily front end coding and project management in a group and solo environment, there were lectures on SEO, Advertising and PPC but not that many as it was just to make us aware more than anything.

My day to day job involves client account relationship management and bits of marketing and promotion when i deal with clients or attend functions.

Digital Marketing stood out to me because my understanding from what i've seen is that it's using campaigns to promote products/brands via social/online media, i'm trying to confirm whether it's correct and if so find out what i can learn to be taken seriously as project management is something i really enjoyed.

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    Digital Marketing is as far as i know exactly what you assumed it was. I just wanted to make sure as I have heared it being used in different fields that it shouldnt have.

The best way to be taken serious is proof of concept. Show that you can successful market a product/brand. If you cant, try to show your strengths in other ways. If it were me id find a product/service/brand that needs help and work with what you got. Or create your own brand/product.

In my design classes we are always encouraged to do this. In fact they say personal projects like that mean more than any assignment in school if done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads