Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

In the life of a web designer, what are your sticking Points/Struggles/Fears

Hi all,

I apologies if this is not in the correct location. Id just like to introduce my self and ask a question if I may.
    My names, Jamie, 29, Male and based in the UK. I was initially a web designer, but now I currently coach and provide educational products for the web design business industry.

Yes I made lots of mistakes in the beginning, but then eventually though education and persistence I learnt how to be successful and make money through web design (working from home)

The main things I struggled with when I began was that I was scared to make the jump from part time designer to full time. I questioned my skills, and I worried about finding customers and replacing my normal income. I spent endless evenings working on projects along side my full time job. I wanted to go full time, but then I asked, what if I cant find work? I also though that because I was self taught, perhaps I was not as good as some others out there. How can I compete?

I am intrigued to know if anyone else had similar struggles when they began their journey and how they got started, or if your considering starting a web design career/business, what is holding you back?

I hope to hear some interesting stories. Kindest regards and take care.

Jamie.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm a developer, so my take will be a bit different than most. Since I'm 38 and started when I was 22, I probably have been in the game longer than you have.

Most of my major struggles were in years 3-4, when I transitioned from part-time to full-time. Finding my first client was easy, since I had worked for him in a prior capacity. Finding my second client was easy, since my first client referred me...although it took almost 3 years for that to happen and I really didn't push for it the way I should have. The hard part came when I decided to go for it and go full-time; I had a job in 2002 that I had scaled back gradually from four to two days a week that I had to give up to take a shot; I actually picked up the client that allowed me to go full-time the day after I quit, so it was a bit risky on my part.

In 2003, I tried hiring people. That was my biggest mistake, and it came within an eyelash of killing my business. I only found two people (out of about 15) that ever worked out and it cost me a lot of money to "learn". I should write about some of the things that happened to me in the process one day; it was absolutely brutal. I learned a lot about the so-called imbalance between employers and employees and who really holds the power. Fortunately, I was smart enough to hire people on contract so it was easy to get rid of them and not have to worry about lawsuits, although one got deported from Canada so that one worked out by sheer fluke.

My biggest issue now is that in replacing clients that are a pain with clients that aren't. Fortunately, I only have two left that are a pain, and I'm giving them both notice this afternoon. I also have some time before I have to replace them, and that part has never been difficult for me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Living in UK you have a lot of opportunities. It's a country with a great economy where it's quite easy to work as a freelance compared to other countries. For some people, like me, the main struggle was to find customers, which is really an easy task: you only need to have a cool webpage and start calling to small or middle sized companies to offer your services.

Remove Ads