Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Writing a letter offering a website for commission in return

Member #

Writing a letter offering a website for commission in return

Hey

So I have this hobby, let's say it's golf.

Looking online for new golf balls, and socks for my clubs etc. I find all these websites which sell them really cheap etc.

But my God it hurts being on their site because I think it was designed by a 12 year old back in 2003, you know the type of website I'm on about, you've bound to of seen them!!

So I click on the golf ball I want "add to cart" which takes me straight to PayPal.. The site doesn't have a cart! It's just one page
    4 columns
    Products. Description of 1 sentence. Price and add to cart. At the bottom of the page is an email address. That's it!!!

Just annoys me because those are usually the sites that do the cheapest stuff and delivery is quick! Just hurts so bad seeing the site.

So I'm thinking I Want to contact them and say

Hi I'm blah blah I'm a Web developer blah blah.. (the usual introduction)

Then followed with something like

I would like to enquire if you are currently seeking a new Website design and development. I would like to propose myself to you and the following initial ideas for your site

Blah
    Blah
    Eccommerce site
    Blah
    Blah

So the usual website sales offer letter.. But here's where I'm stuck.

I want to offer the site for commission of their online sales oppose to usual pay me now and then pay me again. I want to offer it for commission for their online sales. I would be happy to maintain the site etc etc on going.

Just how the hell would you word that!!!
    Any ideas? Or any templates anyone know of?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You wouldn't. Here's why:

1) Cold contact worked in the '90's. It generally doesn't work now. If anything, you're going to create a lot of resentment toward you and your company.

2) If you contact a company via their contact form or email, the developer may see it. In many cases, companies forward those emails onto the developer specifically because they want to light a fire under the developer's *** and/or want the developer to dismiss you as quickly and as rudely as possible. I had a call like this just this past Friday from a major Canadian telecom provider who wanted to sell this wonderful service that would generate all this business and all I had to do was install this piece of code on the site that would magically transform it. Needless to say, I destroyed the company in a way that will ensure that they'll never call my client again.

3) Many smart designers/developers have preadvised their clients that such a call/email will come in. The longest these types of calls/emails usually take is six weeks. I've seen them within 48 hours before.

4) You have no idea whether or not the site works for the customer. You're making the same mistake that most designers in particular make...you assume that the site is an abysmal failure because the site is visually unappealing. That isn't always the case. At best, you're making an educated guess, and you may well be guessing wrong.

5) You're forgetting that, in order to do any other form of e-commerce, other costs are involved. Cost of an SSL. Costs of payment processing. The time and energy it would take to be PCI compliant. Etc. and so on. If you're doing it for a low-value product, your commission will be fairly low and thus the client will likely have to assume the other costs.

In other words, this isn't a good idea.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads