Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Online promotion or direct mail marketing?

  1. #1
    Junior Member antonio_21b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    52361

    Online promotion or direct mail marketing?

    Hey all,
    Iíve recently started a cake shop in Toronto, specializing in designer cakes. There are 3 other stores who provides the same services in the same region, so I thought of doing some marketing for my store. I actually planned to start with an online promotion, but my friend told, it would be good if I start with direct mail marketing before online promotion, as he had done it for his store by giving the contract to a direct mail marketing services provider, which earned good amount of customers for him. So Iím confused with where to start with, online promotion or direct mail marketing?

  2.  

  3. #2
    Senior Member Vapr_Arts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,930
    Member #
    37412
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_21b View Post
    Hey all,
    Iíve recently started a cake shop in Toronto, specializing in designer cakes. There are 3 other stores who provides the same services in the same region, so I thought of doing some marketing for my store. I actually planned to start with an online promotion, but my friend told, it would be good if I start with direct mail marketing before online promotion, as he had done it for his store by giving the contract to a direct mail marketing services provider, which earned good amount of customers for him. So Iím confused with where to start with, online promotion or direct mail marketing?
    Who is your primary customer? Is it a 20yr old or is it someones 80yr old grandma?

    What may work for one may not for the other. You need to figure out who your target market is and the best way to engage with them.

    For example, i have gotten dozens of promotional deals sent to me in the mail, yet I do not think I have EVER used one. I have however used promotions from emails. I am not sure why exactly other than it just works for me. So if I was your target market (which I'm probably not) then direct mail would be a bad way to market to me.

    Do you have an understanding of who you are marketing to? If you do fill me in and I will try and help. Im no marketing genius but I have been part of a few campaigns while interning for a design company my 2nd year in college.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    delstu likes this.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    792
    Member #
    12463
    Liked
    296 times
    Antonio, what is the purpose of the link?

  5. #4
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm just wondering why a cake designer in Toronto is using an IP belonging to a hosting company in a suburb of Montreal.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  6. #5
    Junior Member antonio_21b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    52361
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Who is your primary customer? Is it a 20yr old or is it someones 80yr old grandma?

    What may work for one may not for the other. You need to figure out who your target market is and the best way to engage with them.

    For example, i have gotten dozens of promotional deals sent to me in the mail, yet I do not think I have EVER used one. I have however used promotions from emails. I am not sure why exactly other than it just works for me. So if I was your target market (which I'm probably not) then direct mail would be a bad way to market to me.

    Do you have an understanding of who you are marketing to? If you do fill me in and I will try and help. Im no marketing genius but I have been part of a few campaigns while interning for a design company my 2nd year in college.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. I don't really tagert a specific age group at all, it all depends on how they want my business. My primary aim is to gain more business and I'm searching for the ideas. 've never done any campaigns and so if you can help me out, it would be great.

  7. #6
    Junior Member antonio_21b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    52361
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    Antonio, what is the purpose of the link?
    Purpose! Sorry if I couldn't convey what I was aiming to tell. I just want to know where to start, either with a website and online promotion or with offline marketing like direct mail.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    792
    Member #
    12463
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_21b View Post
    Purpose! Sorry if I couldn't convey what I was aiming to tell. I just want to know where to start, either with a website and online promotion or with offline marketing like direct mail.
    I understood the question perfectly without the link. The link adds nothing of value but does bring up several questions about your aims. Do you have some kind of relationship with the company or does your friend?

    In other words, you still have not answered the question about dropping in the link on your first post. Why? What purpose does it serve?

  9. #8
    Senior Member Vapr_Arts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,930
    Member #
    37412
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_21b View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I don't really tagert a specific age group at all, it all depends on how they want my business. My primary aim is to gain more business and I'm searching for the ideas. 've never done any campaigns and so if you can help me out, it would be great.
    My first bit advice would be to create a business plan. Knowing who your target audience is is really an important part of your companies success.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    792
    Member #
    12463
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KateSuper View Post
    I think you should start with both offline and online
    Moving right along Kate. Only 85 more unhelpful one liners dragging up old posts before you can post your link.
    Last edited by delstu; Apr 24th, 2016 at 03:40 PM.
    khenney likes this.

  11. #10
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    She's not getting that opportunity. Buffalo isn't part of the Ukraine, the last time I checked...although they do have awesome chicken wings.
    delstu likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com