Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Question for newbie in Email campaigns

Member #
    Liked
    265 times

Question for newbie in Email campaigns

Hi All,

So a friend and potential new client has come to me asking about the best email campaign solutions for his business. Currently they use mail chimp, and although adequate, isn't the best (maybe its not been set up correctly I'm not sure) anyway. His email is below.

Hi,

Email marketing software we currently use is Mailchimp and seems adequate but we need to develop an automated process so we can connect regularly with our existing customers and approach prospective new clients. This therefore requires an automated list management process so we are sending the right campaigns to the right people together with a subscribe and unsubscribe capability.

Other example email marketing software providers are https://www.mailerlite.com/ , Email Marketing Software | Pure360 , Email Marketing Services - Email Marketing Software - Email Marketing | Emma, Inc. , Email Marketing Software & Automation | dotmailer . It seems to be a bit of a minefield so need some help to identify the best platform based on Price, Usability, tracking reports, google analytics, List management, splitting lists (existing & prospects / subscribers & unsubscribers), automation, template design and connectivity to other applications.

Kind Regards
    Does anyone have any suggestions to perform the tasks he is requesting? I am new to email campaign marketing so am not 100% sure what to achieve here.

Hope it makes sense

Cheers

M
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    My first question would be how is he compiling mailing lists to "approach prospective new clients"? Have they asked for information or ...?
    TheGAME1264 and m3n0tu18 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    My first question is why do you think you can help this guy? You have no experience, does he know that? Does he know that he isn't getting YOUR help, but rather a bunch of strangers online that you passed the work on to? At least voice your opinion first, tell us what you have found out and what you think is best.

I dont have a problem helping anyone, even a newbie, but for you to come in here n say "i have a potential client that has asked me for answers, i have none, so you guys tell me and ill just pass it along." Isnt making me want to help you very much. Like i said, at least give us your opinion and show us you have done a lil work. Did you do any research yet? Do you have ANY input or something to contribute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    He's not a newbie in most things, Vapr_Arts. He's a newbie when it comes to email clients. Dude's pretty smart. If he didn't offer an opinion or thoughts, it's because he's looked at it and either wants to see if ours line up with his or he genuinely doesn't have any.

As far as the question goes, my answer is the same as Stu's but with a tack-on. If the client is asking you to build a mailing list for "cold prospecting" (i.e. unsolicited commercial email)...run. I don't care if it's your "friend"...run. Friends don't ask friends to spam strangers. That's where the conversation begins and ends with me.

As far as the rest of the question is concerned, some of it seems like "I have a list of things I want it to do and no idea whether or not my goals are realistic, so they must be because they're easy to put into a list". The one thing that stands out to me is Google Analytics. Getting Analytics to work with email is impossible, and there's a very simple reason why. The article below is 3 years old, but it explains the problem...security.

Can JavaScript be used in email campaigns?

The rest of it...I don't really have an opinion on. One of my clients uses Constant Contact and it works well for him and it does integrate well with a website; their API allows me to send JSON requests to it to get users to subscribe to various lists. It's a little bit clunky, but a good programmer can get around it. From what little I've seen of the tracking reports, they work well, although I primarily focus on the API end of things.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Thanks Delstu and GAME for your input.... Vapr, it might be worth reading previous threads I have been a part of before being a keyboard warrior...Bad attitudes will never get you anywhere.

In answer to your questions. He works for an insurance company. So the client has the ability to sign up for marketing stuff or if they are already a part of the company (insurance wise). I don't think it would be a case of just spamming users.

He has in place a mailchimp solution at the moment, and I think its working okay. But I think something is set up incorrectly to allow relevant distributions to different members of the company (IE: VIP get X Campaign, Regular Insurance users get Y Campaign, but both sent out at the same time to those distribution lists)

Thanks for the hint for Constant Contact. I shall look into that aspect of it too.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I just recently changed from Constant Contact which I had been using for years to robly.com. So far I am very impressed. The customer service was among the best I have ever found. As an example Constant Contact wanted to charge me $ 79.00 to be able to pick a responsive template from the stock selection. Robly had one of their tech's call me and spend a half hour with me building a custom responsive template for me.

They have extra features CC didn't have. For example when you set up a mail campaign they have a feature that you can use to send a second email a few days later (timing is your choice) that goes only to those who didn't open the first mailing. (I just did my Robly mailing and did pick up several hundred extra openings that way)

They also have an option to use AI in your mailing campaign. For example if John Smith opens is past mailings at 8 AM they will send his just before 8 am so it is at the top of his inbox. If someone else opens theirs usually at 5 PM he will get the mailing just before 5 PM.

And the best part. It is a lot cheaper than Constant Contact or MailChimp. In fact if you pay a year in advance (you can cancel withing 180 days) it is half the price of Constant Contact.

I like the ways you can create a web site sign up better as well.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18 View Post
    Thanks Delstu and GAME for your input.... Vapr, it might be worth reading previous threads I have been a part of before being a keyboard warrior...Bad attitudes will never get you anywhere.

In answer to your questions. He works for an insurance company. So the client has the ability to sign up for marketing stuff or if they are already a part of the company (insurance wise). I don't think it would be a case of just spamming users.

He has in place a mailchimp solution at the moment, and I think its working okay. But I think something is set up incorrectly to allow relevant distributions to different members of the company (IE: VIP get X Campaign, Regular Insurance users get Y Campaign, but both sent out at the same time to those distribution lists)

Thanks for the hint for Constant Contact. I shall look into that aspect of it too.
    I wasn't trying to be a "keyboard warrior" i don't know you from the next person, you asked a question and I answered how I would with anyone else. I apologize if I came off as snarky or what not, but again I answered how I would have anyone. With the info you provided it looked like you didn't put up any effort. Game knows you and probably understood that you did more than you mentioned, but with not knowing you and seeing the small amount of info you brought with you, i assumed differently. Is that what we do now? Double check old posts to see if you have any credibility?

I guess what I am trying to say is I am sorry I offended you, but I am not sorry for how I responded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    I just recently changed from Constant Contact which I had been using for years to robly.com. So far I am very impressed. The customer service was among the best I have ever found. As an example Constant Contact wanted to charge me $ 79.00 to be able to pick a responsive template from the stock selection. Robly had one of their tech's call me and spend a half hour with me building a custom responsive template for me.

They have extra features CC didn't have. For example when you set up a mail campaign they have a feature that you can use to send a second email a few days later (timing is your choice) that goes only to those who didn't open the first mailing. (I just did my Robly mailing and did pick up several hundred extra openings that way)

They also have an option to use AI in your mailing campaign. For example if John Smith opens is past mailings at 8 AM they will send his just before 8 am so it is at the top of his inbox. If someone else opens theirs usually at 5 PM he will get the mailing just before 5 PM.

And the best part. It is a lot cheaper than Constant Contact or MailChimp. In fact if you pay a year in advance (you can cancel withing 180 days) it is half the price of Constant Contact.

I like the ways you can create a web site sign up better as well.
    Thats brilliant Turboguy, really informative. I shall definitely look down that avenue. A perfect example of helping someone out rather than being knarky in a post without viewing their profile to see who they are and how long they've been here...

quick question GAME. I thought google analytics could be added to email marketing campaigns. I remember doing something similar for a company where the url would be a specific &category=campaign string on the url link Plus other events. Google picked this up and allowed it to be recorded in the analytics events... Mind u this was about 10 months ago, so may have changed lol.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, Javascript can't be executed by many of the email clients...and that would include Google Analytics. So anyone running say later versions of Outlook wouldn't be "trackable".

Personally, I'm not sure it matters, though. You can track the number of sends using most of the campaign apps, and they generally come with tracking URLs to let you know when/if someone clicks on them. Whether or not someone reads the email is almost immaterial if that person doesn't act on the email.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads