Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How to get up and running.....

Hello everyone,

Im getting ready to retire, (less than a year) and Ive tossed around the idea of starting my own web design business, or software design business. I've been a programmer for 30 years, and am well versed in php, mysql, oracle db, html, javascrip and jQuery, etc. My main job function has been to write browser based applications for a very large corporation, basically internal websites (intranets) for the employees, to include browser based apps, reports, etc. Over the years Ive done a handful of websites for people that needed them...small businesses for the most part. So retiring and working from home would be a dream come true for me.

I guess my reason for the post is how do I find customers? I was going to advertise on craigslist and do a bunch of small business websites for free, not cost at all, just to build up my portfolio. The other question is how do you bill? Per hour, number of pages? Another method? Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I get a lot of my work from clients I've worked for in the past needing more work. Usually its because they have a legacy system that needs fixing or a new feature every now and then.

I'm sure the small businesses you've worked for, or the large corporation that you made internal websites for, would probably have work that needs doing - if you drop them an e-mail or a phone call, say you're working remotely if they have any small projects you're available to assist at X hourly rate. If its "commodity work" like a simple 3-page website, SSL installation, etc. I usually quote a fixed price.

P.S. I think in another thread you said you were US based? Even so, I have a UK client who need a PHP+MySQL+Html+jQuery developer, its an internal website / CRM system for a big call centre with reports etc., they're fine with remote work, and it sounds like it you would suit each other. Do you want me to put you in touch?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahswansea View Post
    I get a lot of my work from clients I've worked for in the past needing more work. Usually its because they have a legacy system that needs fixing or a new feature every now and then.

I'm sure the small businesses you've worked for, or the large corporation that you made internal websites for, would probably have work that needs doing - if you drop them an e-mail or a phone call, say you're working remotely if they have any small projects you're available to assist at X hourly rate. If its "commodity work" like a simple 3-page website, SSL installation, etc. I usually quote a fixed price.

P.S. I think in another thread you said you were US based? Even so, I have a UK client who need a PHP+MySQL+Html+jQuery developer, its an internal website / CRM system for a big call centre with reports etc., they're fine with remote work, and it sounds like it you would suit each other. Do you want me to put you in touch?
    Thanks for the reply sarahswansea ......and yes absolutely! Thank you....

Member #
    @greenmonster1970 you may want to check the articles on this website https://itec.media/blog. They have lots of tips on how to start your own website.

Suite 1/66 Appel Street, Surfers Paradise QLD 4217
    Member #
    Id say go to social media for you to look for customers for your web design business. Advertise on Facebook Facebook, Instagram, Twitter , Pinterest and etc..
    identify your prospect and look for potential clients by going to networking sites that is relevant to your business.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    get in front of people. Skin to skin contact (handshake) is best. It is fun, dont hide behind your computer. Develop relationships at networking events. You never really know what will come from a relationship or what client knows who. I have had customers stay with me for years and they are super easy to manage.

Go to chamber of commerce, tons of meetup.com events in your local area, trade shows (have a booth and promote your services), try and fail a million times.

The biggest thing is find the super-connectors as I like to call them. They know everyone, get in with them and they will open the doors to their vast network. Do some free work for them and really help them out and develop a relationship. Esp marketing companies, or ad agencies, magazines, newspapers, insurance people, people that know lots of wealthy people.

You don't want to bill hourly. That will set the frame that you are their employee subconsciously and they will be very demanding. Also ask what you did by hour, and the whole interaction will suck. I do it by project . 50% cost upfront and 50% at completion, hosted on your own server. When they pay you move it to theirs.
    Last edited by muuwebdesign; Sep 13th, 2018 at 06:03 AM.
    Muu Web Design | Life is awesome!

Remove Ads