Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Contracts, invoicing and going ahead

Hi all,

I have decided to make a return to working on web design which was something I thoroughly enjoyed fifteen years ago. I appreciate standards have changed and I have adapted to that!

I have a question or three for those that have made it to become a small but successful business. By small I mean a sole owner or a partnership of two.

I am racking my brain trying to decide about the contract and agreement side of things.

"back in the day" I didn't really bother with contracts. Clients were trustworthy, I never had any issues of clients bailing out half way through a project, and above all clients paid and on time.

Now-a-days, we have a much more saturated market to contend with, and the chances of getting crappy clients has increased?

Do you bother with a contract, is it worth the time and effort when they could still bail out and end up costing us time and money to chase it up?

What kind of contract do you send, a PDF with the option to digitalise a signature, a simple email with a written agreement, an invoice that needs signing by both designer and client? Or how do you do this?

Also with the contract, with the nature of this work, it is hardly worth posting contract by snail mail to be signed and returned unless the client is local.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum

Thanks for having me here by the way.

Remove Ads