Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,

I'm a recent college grad trying to get into web design. I just redesigned my portfolio--let me know what i can do to make it better. I don't have the knowledge on how to create something fancy like some of the other sites--so it's not as nice as some of the other ones on here. Been trying to get a job in this--haven't had any luck yet... :cry:

Thanks

http://www1.uop.edu/~r-cheung/portfolio

Member #
    I don't like the image map you have there in your main content area. The navigation is already on the top, you don't need to include it again. Including that collection of images on every page gets annoying. They are huge, and they take up most of the space on your site. I would take those images out of your content area and try putting them in the banner (not all 5 though) to spruce the banner up.

Member #
    Took well over 5 seconds to load on the Birmingham City Council 10 meg connection.

When I rollover the 'About' link, why does the services button change colour? (on the home page only). I'm not font on the rollovers to be honest, and in my opinion, just changing the colour of the text would be sufficient.

I would also use a font that is sans-serif (such as Verdana or Arial), and also make sure you use one font throughout; the font used in your main navigation (Trebuchet MS) and your Image maps would look nice to give a conistent feel.

3/5
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Thanks for your input.

splufdaddy-- I agree that the image map on the main page is sort of redundant--but I'm not sure what to put in place of it--maybe just a plain image of something? The image maps on the other pages help link to pages that aren't on the main navigation menu. I would put drop down menus--but I don't know how to do them. I guess I'll need to think of a different way of doing it other than using those images

justlivyalife--Guess its a bit slow to load. I changed the problem with the about rollover. I think I may just get rid of the image maps and replace them with something else since it seems to slow things down. I'll also work on getting the fonts to be consistent.

In general though, (aside from the image maps) does the site have a pleasing enough aesthetic that if you were an employer or a person looking for a web designer, would you want to continue on and find out more--or is there still something to be desired? Any other suggestions by anyone on what can be done to make it more appealing would be appreciated.

Member #
    Try the interface with some soothing colours ... dark with a white inner - strains the eyes and does not make the viewer feel comfortable (IMO).

I like the pictures in sample site 1&2.
    Try optimising the image-map images (with PSP or PS) for a smaller size (I'm on dial-up).

Take care of your javascript and it will take care of you (line:60 Character:1).

Member #
    Thanks for your input Glide. I resaved the images into a more compressed format are now between 15-30 kbs from over 100 kbs before--so hopefully the site will now load much faster. I also replaced the old image maps with something I think looks better (at least in my opinion). As for the color scheme, I'm playing around with it now to see what looks best.

Member #
    looks ok.. the new image u added to replace the image map is way to low quality and kinda makes it look worse than the image map imo mostly due to the fact that u saved text as a low quality giv so it doesnt turn out as nice as if u where to save it at a higher quality or jpg.. i recomend u set the image as the bg of that cell (if u are using tables) and just add the text seperatly in the coding (then it wouldnt look so iffy) or just save it as jpg next time even though it may slow down the loading times

Member #
    hmm..setting the image a the bg seems like a good idea to try. i'm gonna play around with the idea to see how it turns out. if it doesn't work, i'll just increase the image quality to a reasonable size. thanks for the suggestion.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    your nav should be gif images. gis are much better with text, jpgs are better with real and complex images
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Preload them images? They take a while for the rollovers to effect...
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Remove Ads