Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Loftus and Speight R.I.P - Your in our hearts and minds forever lads.

Member #
    The main flash introduction is useless, I would remove it to be honest.

Also don't include a 'best viewed' resolution, it looks 1995-ish.

I don't like the usage of frames, and I feel it would look nicer without the frames. You could achieve a similar effect using normal tables or divs. Your main content frame scrolls horizontally (at both 800 by 600 and 1024 by 768).

I'm not too fond of your background image either, as I can't quite read it, but because I can see it is their I am making efforts to try and read it.

You have fast loading pages and a good navigation system. Good Job 3/5.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Do away with the intro, and the marquee tag. You should never use <marquee>. Ever. Change the background image so it is more readable, or get rid of it completely. Other than that, good work.

Member #
    thanks people - Lord B why is the <marquee> tool so bad???

Member #
    fair enough i cant argue with that!

Whats the best alternative to using this then??? I need something on the homepage to grab attention to the latest news section.

Member #
    If you really need animation a little bit of flash goes a long way.

Tasteful animated gifs can work but can easily look bad too.

Member #
    Marquee is very bad for the reasons pointed out, but is also affects the accessibility of your site.

Considering that it is a school web site, I would imagine that accessibility would be fairly high up on your priority list.

If I had impaired vision, and couldn't see very well, then moving text would just confuse the hell out of me. Not good. The fact that you have placed a link (<a> tag) in the marquee is even worse. If I had very slow reactions, broken wrists, or found it difficult to use a mouse for whatever reason, I would find it extremely difficult to click on your link. Again, not good. I'm sorry if it sounds as though I am being harsh, but they are points that I simply must make, especially as your site is designed for the state sector. Because it is made for the state sector, it should be designed to be accessible for all, and you or your client could actually be sued for poor accessibility, although this is extremely unlikely.

While we are on the topic, the <blink> tag, which was also brought up in that article, could actually cause me to have an epileptic fit and die. Deffinately not good. I do find it mildly ironic that the the images used in the article to depict a title bar of some sort flicker when I scroll, which could also cause a fit. The crusade continues.

Member #
    i think that blink and marquee are just plain tacky looking.

Have a site news area on the homepage if you plan on updating alot, or just have the first line on the page say in orange (since orange and blue contrast) "notice: new website launched, 1/2/03.". I'd avoid neon green and other neon colors, they are takcy too.

I'd change the shade of blue on the screen too, that field of blue, and that color blue is a littlet tacky too. having a white box in the middle of the page for text to go in might look nice.
    Jason

Member #
    The marquee and blink are very amateur looking. If you want to catch the viewers attention, use color and placement to do it instead of moving the text around.

The main content shouldn't be centered. Centered text is hard to read, only headlines or banners should be centered, if at all. I'm also not a fan of the background you have. Your background is more text? Looks very odd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads