Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys, I'm new here so I thought I'd start with getting some opinions on my website.

Spiral Alchemy

I'm still trying to work out some css issues in firefox, but the site should look fine in IE. I wanted to make a design that would be functional as well as unique, so instead of the standard header/content layout, I messed everything up and around, I think it turned out decently though. Hopefully some of you agree.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    i think it looks great although i lack experience in making websites

Member #
    Mock or Review, which to choose...

Seriously though if you want to use this site as a web design portfolio you're going to make your site more professional. Firstly I would invest a whole $10 or so in a .com domain, it looks better to clients and makes you look more professional.

Secondly you really don't want a hotmail address as your contact address, if you've got hosting that doesn't have pop3 boxes or redirection (or if it's free hosting) change your host - it doesn't cost much. Places such as www.protecweb.co.uk even offer introductory plans (1 for the first month in this case).

Also try not to put fake sites on your portfolio - zcar.com (although a nice looking 'site' in your portfolio) actually exists, but with a poor design. Which will put off any potential customers you might have that look at the portfolio for proof of your experience. (

The design imo isn't really suited for its purpose either. The dark color scheme and gothic logo typography makes the site look like a personal nu-metal fansite rather than a design portfolio. Take a look at some of your other designs in your portfolio. They're of a much higher quality than the actual site - and it's the site that'll make the first impression, not the portfolio.

One last thing is that I'd get shot of the 'X' 'Y' 'Z' Flash movies, as people will click on them and just wonder wtf?!

Member #
    OK, this is gonna sound harsh, but I don't mean it to be:

This is a very quick layout I whipped up as a favor to a friend of mine from cdchosting.com.
    That is from the tgirlhosting site on your portfolio. This is a very bad statement to make. It is practically saying that you don't spend any time on your designs whatsoever, you just "whip them up". Also, it says that you can't get any real clients so you just do things for friends and as favours. This is not a good thing to portray to your clients.

Also your messages sound sharp, and often sort of nasty:

The client wanted something very simple, so this is what they got

Too bad it was never published.

I along with several members felt their current design was out of date and needed a facelift.
    That is naming a few. Basically, the main problem with your site is the copy (content). It may be worth hiring a Copywriter to write your content profressionally...
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I would run a spelling/grammmar checking utility... noticably you've missed the 'f' off of 'features' on your pricing page.

Get rid of the stupid anti right-click scripts, there're like a million ways to save an image... cache, print-screen, save as, press enter at the same time you right click, etc.

Avoid using italic writing on a computer screen, it just distorts letters to the point where they look ugly and are hard to read.

I agree with the main point by Will, your copy doesn't project the best image that it could do. It makes you sound some what uncertain & unconfident of what you do.

Member #
    its looks oks but it doesnt really look like a design portfolio it reminds me of like a msuic artist website, and the flower in the bg doesnt really match anything else.. what is with the y,x,z thing?

Member #
    Hi,

Agreed with most of the above, change the xyz images, maybe put the sites you have made there? The content needs reviewing as mentioned also,
    2 days later, this site was born.
    Take that out asap.....even if it did only take you 2 days, your customers may perceive that being too quick.

All in all.....I like the site, it looks quite good.......but not in the context you want it to. It looks like a goth bands site.....it really does, but a good goth bands site! I really like the background image....if you lighten everything up, then I think it will look alot better.

whats the favicon all about too!?

Cheers,
    Ben.
    [URL=http://www.madcowweb.co.uk]Lancashire Web Design/URL]

>>Please excuse the spelling in my signatures <<aranoid: aranoid:

Member #
    Awesome. Actual criticism.

Ok, I'll try to address every point in order.

Riat_Sila:
    www.spiral-alchemy.com (or .ca) and Chris@spiral-alchemy.com will be done within a week. I had the same thoughts as you on that. As for the 'design doesn't suit its purpose' I disagree, because every design site that I've seen is exactly the same boring corporate trendy site. I don't want to make the same site as everyone else on the internet.

As for the x/y/z thing, if you read the page of the site you would see that they are codes, if you break them you get a free site design.

will7:
    First of all, thank you for sounding harsh. I can't fix anything when I get 900 comments saying "cool" or "nice".
    I'm in the process of redoing the portfolio section now, and I'll take all your suggestions to heart. Thanks.

The reason the zcar one is sharp is because they asked for a design, the after I made one for them, they decided that they were too good for a 'current' design, and decided to keep their 1991 style website. Hooray for wasting my time.

Trico:
    Spelling. Good call.

As for the italics, I don't agree but thats just a matter of opinion.. I'm pretty sure the only anti-right click scripts are on the codes.. Which actually serves a purpose as to give a hint. So I won't be removing those.

Mad Cow Web:
    Everyone hates the code images eh? Wow. Anyways, From the sound of things here I am far more suiting at making pretty pictures than writing intelligent text.

Funny you mentioned lightening up the background image, I just darkened it yesterday because a bunch of people complained that it was too bright to see the text.

Thank you all for your comments. Finally something I can work from.

Cheers
    spiral.alchemy

Member #
    I think it works well for a portfolio site. It's very original, and isn't that what people want when they are looking for someone to design their site? They want something new, not just the plain old logo, nav, content box. I would rather get a site made from you than from a lot of the other places I've seen.
    I like the overall aesthetic of the site. It works well; the colors aren't in-your-face, the layout isn't confusing. Nice work.

Member #
    Thanks Eddy.
    Thats exactly what I was going for when I did the site. I figured if I did something creative/artistic it might get me started with a different client base than if I made the same 'corporate' looking design as every other designer out there.
    spiral.alchemy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads