Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, I took some of your advise and adjusted my site. Smaller thumbs, more compact, and organised. I know it still needs improvement, but here it is so far.
    RickWoodensail.com

Member #
    Compact? No, not really Having everything on the main page doesn't work for any site. Take each individual section and give it it's own separate page to begin with. Half the images have borders, half don't. The text family and color changes way too much. It just looks too inconsistent.

Member #
    I agree with Eddy, That is why god invented navigation buttons, to seperate content into manageable chunks. for me on broadband you page loaded fine, but 56k would have a very hard time.

for example after using this tool http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ it said it would take 137 seconds to load all info on your page on a 56k modem that is way overboard. I would try to come up with some type of navigation scheme that seperates the content into specific categories, remember to include a home and about us button also, and then go from there

Member #
    Alrighty then. back to work for me then.
    Thanks for the help.
    Rick

Member #
    You are a beginner?(just a guess)

Did you use a WYSIWYG program? Something like pagebuilder? If yes than thats the first thing I will advice you to stop. Most people will tell you to learn HTML but even I don't have the patience for that and belief you'll learn over time. But I suggest you use Front Page for now (to all novices: front page is good for learing because you can learn features you may see later). And than you have to choose in what you want to work frames, layers or tables.

I always use tables, that gives you more control over your website. With front page its easy to use tables by just going to the tab table. After that I suggest you follow Eddy's advice and make a menu. Introduce yourself on your front page etc.

Even though advertisement can look as a weak point on more professional sites, it can work as a great filler on other sites. I would suggest getting a banner from a banner exchange page. It doesn't matter that it is a personal page. One from 430x81

Last but not least, even though you may not implement a form, it always looks better if you have a seperate "Contact Me/Us" page. And a link to it on every page. That means a navigation bar.

Member #
    Thank you. I have been using Front Page. Someone suggested that I use FirstPage and I downloaded it. I have no idea what to do with Firstpage.
    Rick

Remove Ads