Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

here is the link
    http://www.yolandascakes.com

I made everything from scratch but it seems plain to me. I ask for suggestions on how to make at least the home page more attractive without going over board.

Member #
    I have to say to begin with that you may want to move the image on the left down a ways (perhaps 10 or 20px) so the cakes drop down menu doesn't cover it at the top.
    Perhaps puting a border around the whole site would jaz it up a bit. I don't really know what else, but I'm sure other people will give you some help.

Member #
    I was actually thinking of a border around the site like you suggested. I didn't mention it to see if anyone else thought it was a good idea, so I will do that and see how it looks. I was trying to keep the picture in view on a screen that has 800/600 res so I figured that having the drop down menu was a good way of having the extra space until the links were needed. maybe I was wrong though.

BTW I appreciate the response

Member #
    the website content is too close to the header/nav and u ould really use some border or structure to the site like mentioned earlier

and u could maybe try moving the nav a bit lower from the header to c how it looks.. never hurts to jsut try stuff out

Member #
    • 'Georgia' would be a much nicer choice of font for written content.
    • A cream text colour would contrast better with the navigation bar.
    • Left align your text, but keep the position intact.
    • The hover effect for the text links doesn't look very smooth or flowing. A colour change/underline would work well, the change in size isn't necessary.

Member #
    thanks so much guys, how is this so far http://yolandacakes.com/test.htm

when I get time I'll try cream colored text on the buttons.

hey Trico, do you mean change the cell color or text color? also I think the problem is my layer for the menu is too thin, so its easy to hover off of it and lose it. I need to fix that.

Member #
    The text colour of the initial buttons, cream would show up alot better as opposed to the muddy brown.

Member #
    Personally I'd rather see the site start at the top of my window. In the middle there it looks like it's lost on my screen.

I agree w/ Trico, the current navigation text is too dark on that dark background.

The "Cakes" page needs some order to it. Not only do the pictures look randomly placed, but the words are all over the place too!

Member #
    I think the front page looks very clean and simple,which is great. The only thing i would change is lighter text like mentioned several times already.Also I would make the pictures a uniform size and arranged in a uniform way.(thats just a personal preference though)Great job though on everything else.
    LooseCannon Design
    Friendly, affordable webdesign.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    Personally I'd rather see the site start at the top of my window. In the middle there it looks like it's lost on my screen.

I agree w/ Trico, the current navigation text is too dark on that dark background.

The "Cakes" page needs some order to it. Not only do the pictures look randomly placed, but the words are all over the place too!
    the reason its in the middle on your screen is because of your resolution, Im using javascript for centering horizantly as well as vertically.

again, thank you. i've already talked to them about getting some new pictures taken and for them to be more uniform in size. I explained to them how I felt that personally the pictures seem to dark to me and don't do their cakes justice. I showed them a competitors site with much better pictures and that gave them quite a impression

the cakes page was done on their suggestion but I also felt is was a little wacky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads