Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Ok guys and gals, let me know what you think.

I can't say that I'm finished, but it is nearing home stretch. I have a copy writer partnered with me who is review the site as we speak for "market acceptance".

http://www.thedotshoppe.com/

PS. I just redesigned the domain search function so it may seem a little plain right now.

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Nick

The Dot Shoppe
    http://www.thedotshoppe.com/

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What do I think of it? It's a template.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    It has some potential, but I see a lot of areas for improvement.
    1. The content starts way too far down the screen. Your banner image (which is plain at the top) takes up too much vertical space. Then there's your nav, then your content. I'd try to move that up if I were you. Users on an 800x600 resolution wont see any content w/o scrolling. Put some content above the fold.
    2. I dont like the black text on the gray backround. It's too hard to read, and it's incredibly small. Make the font larger, and give the font/background colors more contrast.
    3. The site seems to have too many "sections". It looks like a spam website because of all the exclamation points and different sections of content screaming for my attention. Figure out what you want your visitors to see first, and give it to them.
    4. It looks like a template. The top is bare, the nav's design is overused, and your company name next to the woman looks like a sticker slapped on there.

Don't mean to be harsh, but this site is aimed at web professionals. If you were selling quilting supplies, your demographic wouldn't be as critical or notice these things. People buying domain names and hosting will.

Member #
    Thanks guys, keep em coming...

Hi spluf & brak,

Brak, you are correct, it was a template that I modified. Time was of the essence on this one. I have another site in the works as we speak, but I have to "mold" this one together for now.

Splufdaddy, thanks for the info... yes I agree with the content issue being too far down the screen, I am going to fix that in the redesign, as well as the text, nav, and etc. Thank you for your honesty. That's why I wanted you folks to look it over. I really want to provide a quality service to my customers. Some people won't notice these things, but the pros here will pick them out in a heartbeat. I need that. It helps me fine tune my design skills to deliver quality to my clients.

You guys are awesome. And thanks again for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    It has some potential, but I see a lot of areas for improvement.
    1. The content starts way too far down the screen. Your banner image (which is plain at the top) takes up too much vertical space. Then there's your nav, then your content. I'd try to move that up if I were you. Users on an 800x600 resolution wont see any content w/o scrolling. Put some content above the fold.
    2. I dont like the black text on the gray backround. It's too hard to read, and it's incredibly small. Make the font larger, and give the font/background colors more contrast.
    3. The site seems to have too many "sections". It looks like a spam website because of all the exclamation points and different sections of content screaming for my attention. Figure out what you want your visitors to see first, and give it to them.
    4. It looks like a template. The top is bare, the nav's design is overused, and your company name next to the woman looks like a sticker slapped on there.

Don't mean to be harsh, but this site is aimed at web professionals. If you were selling quilting supplies, your demographic wouldn't be as critical or notice these things. People buying domain names and hosting will.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Off-topic. Templates aren't a great way to save time if you have to alter them at all. They tend to have been made extremely quickly and cut a lot of corners, which makes editing them a pain in the arse.

Member #
    Doesnt work properly in firefox, seems like some of the content on the left is covering over your navigation

Member #
    Also this is a template that should be centerd. Keep it on the left, that shouldn't also fix your problem with firefox.

Member #
    Firefox - Where?

HI Aaron & Burnerp,

Thanks for your comments, it's greatly appreciated!

I loaded firefox and the only thing I see is that there is a bit of a spacing problem under the Client Login. All pictures seem to fit ok.

I wonder what it could be?

Msg to Transio regarding templates: I have to agree, by the time I took that #$%@ thing apart to mold it back together, I was better off creating my own design from scratch.

I'm going to use this one for the time being until I get time to finish up my other design.

In the meantime, if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at my other post about the neurology site, I would appreciate any comments there. Already got plenty of great suggestions that I am starting to implement.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnerp
    Also this is a template that should be centerd. Keep it on the left, that shouldn't also fix your problem with firefox.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I don't see how you can ask for a critique of a site you didn't even design. It's a template, that's a no-no.

Member #
    Clarification?

Hi jlgosse,

Well, in all actuality, about 15% is a template. I made so many modifications to it because it didn't entirely fit my needs. Like transio said earlier, templates can actually waste more of your design time. Trust me, I believe it now. He was 100% dead on that fact.

jlgosse, this isn't aimed at just you, but I do want to say something to the group here. I've noticed a couple of quick comments about my site being a "template" in that I feel that the subject matter should be addressed in the most positive way that I can address it...

Look guys, it's real simple... I was looking for a forum of professionals to access my ability to create, design, etc. a site... I didn't see anywhere in the FAQ's about whether it was derived from a template or not. If I had, I wouldn't have posted here.

I was looking for objective opinions on how the site is laid out in terms of usage, etc. Not just how pretty it can be. I do understand that these can go hand in hand together as well.
    I need a fast way to get the shop up and running. But I needed to know from the pro's just how well things flow in the site.

Please, by all means, if you want to see a home grown design, go to: http://www.librerosneurology.com/default1.asp

I would really appreciate comments on that site as well as it is something I am designing from scratch for a friend of mine.
    I've already taken a few great suggestions from Eddie Bones and Burnerp and have already implemented them.

Sorry guys, I don't mean for this to turn into a flame. I don't want anyone to feel like I am trying to insult their intelligence by putting a partially templated site up. If it was taken that way or if I came off the wrong way, then I apologize to everyone here for my ignorance. I will also extend the offer not to post here anymore if you feel that my comments in this post are out of line. Not looking to make enemies, just looking to make a few good friends.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by jlgosse
    I don't see how you can ask for a critique of a site you didn't even design. It's a template, that's a no-no.

Remove Ads