Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have a very very good friend who is a model and she asked me to make her website for her. Eventually the page will reside at www.dasavo.com, however, until then I am building it at:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~dprucs/dasavo/

I am looking for some pointers and tips on the design. I like the general design overall, but it seems pretty boring and empty, mainly because I think there is too much white space. Don't you agree?

I need some ideas to fill up that white space with something that will make the site look good and professional at the same time.

Also, if you have any other pointers or tips to give me, they are appreciated. Any advice is welcome.

I am using html, php, and css.

Thanks for any advice.

Member #
    Your CSS file isn't being recognized by Mozilla. Could be because in your CSS file, you have this on the first line:
    Code:
    @charset "iso-8859-l";
    Either way, take a look at it in a browser besides IE and you won't be pleased.

Took a look at it in IE, and it looks better. On a large resolution (1280x1024), there is a HUGE gap between the picture and the content on the homepage. The journal page is extremely wide and short on a large resolution too. You may want to consider using pixel widths instead of percentages, because your content looks extremely spread out.

Member #
    Try using a tinted background or some sort of texture, they can be simple ways of making a page look more interesting. Instead of using 'Times' as the body font, experiment with 'Georgia' or even 'Verdana' with a very spacious leading value...

ie.
    font: normal 11px/150% verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;

Navigation text could be a bit bigger?

Also your CSS isn't rendering in FireFox; I think this is because you've got an extra space after rel="stylesheet"... within the line that calls the style sheet in.

You've also missed the ';' off ©

Keep the style minamalistic and you can't go too far wrong with what you have atm. There're other other small improvements you can make... your content box floats away from the image on larger resolutions.

All for now.

[EDIT]
    Okay, Spluf beat me to it, but his solution seems to be right
    on the stylesheet issue.
    [/EDIT]

Member #
    Thanks for your replies.

>@charset "iso-8859-l";

Ah, it's because I mistook that last character as an L instead of the number 1. It's changed now and the CSS should load properly in FireFox.

>You've also missed the ';' off ©

Thanks for the heads up on that.

>On a large resolution (1280x1024), there is a HUGE gap between the picture and the content on the homepage. The journal page is extremely wide and short on a large resolution too. You may want to consider using pixel widths instead of percentages, because your content looks extremely spread out.

Yeah I am aware of that and I have been pondering what to do about it. One solution is of course using pixel widths instead of percentages. The only problem I see with using pixel widths is distortion with the photos, but as long as all the photos I use have the same proportions that shouldnt be a problem.

>Try using a tinted background or some sort of texture

A tinted background is a good idea, I am just not sure what colors go with my current color scheme. I am trying to think of a good color. Of course there is always the option of a soft gray.

>Navigation text could be a bit bigger?

I'll look into that.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

While this is fresh on my mind: Do you have any pointers for everything above the menu? Right now above the menu I have it saying "Dasa Vo .com" in a font called Stacatto 222 BT. This font is probably extremely unportable, so it would be best if I changed it to a .jpg image instead so it would look the same on every machine. Meanwhile, do you think I should put anything else above the menu?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Your image: http://students.cs.byu.edu/~dprucs/dasavo/dasa108.jpg
    is 640x180 at 99 kb
    Shrink the width to 480 so it matches the way you framed it. Also, compress it better. The same goes for the other two images I see.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    I like the site, but you I am getting problems with viewing it on FireFox (profile page).
    Webmaster Talk - Discuss SEO, Graphics, Programming, Google, and much more. <== Join and receive free mySQL/PHP hosting and domains

crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional
    Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Remote Backup Dedicated Servers Web Development IE Toolbar Design

Remove Ads