Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Personal Portfolio
    I've finally finished my portfolio layout, so i thought i'd post it up to get some constructive critisism from other Web Developers and Graphic Designs. At the moment i think it looks pretty good, but i feel that i've borrowed too much from certain sites, and i don't feel that it's creative enough. The Navbar is a near complete copy of Mike Davidson's Portfolio, and the Xamira.net style of it, which gave me inspiration, although i'm not too happy with it being so similar. Also i feel i've borrowed too much from A List Apart and Aesthetic Studios. Strange for the lack of creative design, as i also do Graphic Design, but i guess it can all be changed. I done a lot of the actual coding (XHTML and CSS) based upon what i read on SitePoint. Anyways i think i've put my work down too much for one thread, so give me your fair critisism, and advice on what you think about borrowing from other websites. Somehow it doesn't feel right to use almost the same stuff as other sites, even though looking for originality in a web page is very hard.

Plan's for the Future:
    I wad reading through an Accessibility article on some web site (i forget which), so i'm probably going to remove the nav links on the right column and give the users the ability to alter the colour of the background, or a new stylesheet from there. Also the ability to change font size (taken from article at A List Apart), and hopefully a link to join a future forum i might add onto there.

Another thing i have planned to add onto the site, and also to improve myself as a Web Developer is a hand-coded Article System (if only) i had vBulletin, i had coded a pretty big thread based article system integrated with it, oh well). This would probably help with getting hits and recognition as an actual site, as well as improving my own knowledge.

The last thing i was thinking of doing, if i get a decent amount of visitors, is a small forum to practice creating phpBB skins (I've always been a vB skinner, but i don't have the money for another Licence), also perhaps to practice my PHP with modifications and stuff. I've always enjoyed Administrating forums, so it would be a good opportunity to do so.

All of these are only really plans for the future, and i seriously doubt i'll pull any of them off. Maybe the articles though. Since it's Summer i want something to do instead of sleeping all day.

What i want to Achieve:
    Well obviously, when you have a Portfolio, you want it to appear on Search Engines, however i'm kinda rusty on my Search Engine knowledge, and it's not exactly that easy to get your Portfolio linked often on other peoples sites. That's why i came up with the Article idea, and the forum. I'm not too sure how on you would get a Portfolio high up on a Search Engine, so some advice on that would be excellent. As well as this, is there any direct section for Portfolios on DMOZ, or is it more for more content related sites?

As well as getting high in the Search Engines on Google, i'd like to make it a site that's easily accessible by anyone, to be able to use the site as more than a Portfolio, kinda like a Web Development/Graphic Design resource as well. Also as a portal for the rest of my work, as i am a College Student doing a Computing course (hopefully if i pass this year), i'd like to be able to put up any relevent applications/databases/webpages/etc that i make. Any advice on how i would move ahead with what i have would be appreciated.

BTW, the links on the main layout page do not work. I want to finish the design before i go adding full content and write the scripts.

EDIT: .htaccess problems, i'll have to repost this when i have access to the folders again.

Member #
    The navigation is definately a copy of Davidson's, and that's not acceptable. I took a look at Aesthetic Studios, and that bears a close resemblance to your site too. If you can't separate yourself from the sites that you look at for "inspiration", then you should start with a blank canvas and start creating from your imagination. Designs like this will be considered ripped versions of someone else's work, and get you a bad reputation.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    The navigation is definately a copy of Davidson's, and that's not acceptable. I took a look at Aesthetic Studios, and that bears a close resemblance to your site too. If you can't separate yourself from the sites that you look at for "inspiration", then you should start with a blank canvas and start creating from your imagination. Designs like this will be considered ripped versions of someone else's work, and get you a bad reputation.
    Yeah. That's the problem that i get whenever i see navigations that work. They always have to be in my work. Anyways, i removed the navigation, and i'm going to work on innovating. The last thing i want is to have my hard work put down by copying a style i like. If you look at the HTML, then you can see that mine and Aesthetic Studios (a site some friends own) differs, but the same style goes, and when it comes to this general look with Portfolio's, i find it hard to come up anything that hasn't been done before. With my previous look i had a MacOSX lookalike layout, which in the end looked like another portfolio. In the end, it's down to me finding something original and codeable. Anyways, thanks for being honest with that problem. I've been following what i've been learning from SitePoint, and it seems that it's just getting me into a routine of using idea's from other sites, other than when i used to program in non-standards HTML when i could get away with any other outrageous design. I guess moving on from the rest of the thread, what do you recommend i use as a horizontal navbar? To be honest i'm absolutely stumped on what to do, as originally i felt that a black navbar would be what i'd want, but it's so hard to try and make it different from sites like Mike Davidson's, Xamira and the multitude of sites with these kinds of horizontal navbars.

Remove Ads