Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My latest site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi

What you guys think of my latest work some elements im not very happy with but my hand was forced by the client.

www.sweetlimecreative.com

cheers
    Whats the matter the CIA got u pushing too many pencils ???

Member #
    NOt bad, but I feel it was a mistake to put the text on the pics. its causes the pics to keep being download4ed every page even though all that should change is the text, not to mention that it makes the pic file size bigger than it should be.
    if you use the same pic every page and use html text, then at least the image can be cached in the users system

Member #
    well i think its ok it kinda loads semi slow with the odd hang but i got DSL so im sure it wouldnt be to dial up user friendly.. another thing is that the person viewing may not have a clue what the websits about they'll think its about fruites unless it is then im jsut lost lol

Member #
    I would exagerate the arrangement of the name plate if you're attempting to portray the 'light, easy going and friendly' style because otherwise it looks like you're using typography to present a professional image that happens to be done by an amateur sort of apppearence.

Search engines will hate the site because absolutely everything is images; the same layout could be put togeather with no more than 4 maybe 5 div/td cells using the background colour attribute. It has to be said that even a 100% flash site would work better.

The visual aesthetics are quite nice for the most part, but the information the site contains and how it offers it seems very poor.

Most things on the web are only skim read, in this case you might be led into thinking the site is for a fruit-drinks company just by picking out the most repetertive words. The navigation items don't communicate what will actualy be on the following pages apart from the contact link. Things like headings/titles would help readabilty...

Still a long way to go imo.

Member #
    These are all issues that i have raised with the client before they do not and will not listen attitude. They think they know better than everyone else.

I dont plan to do anymore work on it whatsoever I am so glad to wash my hands of it all.

Member #
    I don't really like it that much. It's a bit strange to be honest. Not my cup of tea.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not bad looking. But it's not a lot of other things. Images for the text, crazy. Tables for such a simple layout. Just little things like that don't "tickle my taste buds" :-D

You can't rely on images to display your content, it's just criminal.

This could be easily recreated with CSS and no tables and images for the text. It would be very very simple to do and would be quicker loading, more accessible and better for search engine rankings.

Maybe the idea of the fruit is taken a little too far. I don't think it is going to win whoever many customers.

Bit of potential there but I have seen better bits and bobs from you.
    Nice could though.

Member #
    At the end of the day, according to Bazrazmataz, the client requested that the site be made of images. So he has to respect the clients wishes - the only thing that we, as web designers, can do is advise clients, we can't tell people what to do.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Will7 hit it right on the mark. My hand was seriously forced in this site I was told exactly how it was gonna be or no money whatsoever they never took on board any of my suggestions at all. I never want to work with them again.

I also seriously dont want to put this site on my portfolio as it is just not what i wanted to do.

Some clients are such a pain they think they know it all but hey thats life.

Im looking forward to the next job now where i can make a site with my professional opinion for someone who will really appreciate it.

Member #
    Why don't you talk them about it. Convince them that at least the images for text is not doing them any favours. It will haunt them when it comes to search engines to say the least not to mention the accessibility issues it has. Tell them that it falls foul of the DDA.
    Write out a detailed document for them highlighting these pitfalls. I'm sure they will come to their senses if you do this and go into detail with it. And even then if they refuse, why not scrap the tables anyway and go CSS all the way. You could even introduce some image replacement so you can have the text, which will be found by search engines, they will have huge indents, for example -99999px and the background image is all that shows. This is the best way for it and will help with search engines.

Member #
    To be honest, I don't see that not being search engine friendly is much of a problem for that site. The only keywords that it would show up on are things like "lime" and "zest".

And even with paid search engine placement, as soon as some one clicks through to the site, they'll leave straight away, because the text is so vague. You have to navigate quite a long way into the site before you even know what the company does.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads