Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: My Web Site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I currently have a web site at http://www.enchanted-minds.net but I'm looking to update it. The only problem is, I don't know how to go about doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions in which way I should proceed?

Member #
    You can remove the splash page as it serves no purpose whatsoever. It also took me quite some time to find the enter button. The overall website needs to be more grafical, right now all I see is a table with borders and alot of text. Your header image is also waaaay to big (height)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignBox
    You can remove the splash page as it serves no purpose whatsoever. It also took me quite some time to find the enter button. The overall website needs to be more grafical, right now all I see is a table with borders and alot of text. Your header image is also waaaay to big (height)
    I have read tons of articles that using to many graphics to make a web site more graphical is something that you should avoid because of dial-up users.

For header images - is there recommanded sizes?

Member #
    It doesn't mean that you shouldn't use images at all

Member #
    Yeah. The standard size for a header image is 640 x 80px I think. The site is just all text with CSS. Obviously don't make the whole layout with imagery, but a bit of images adds a nice touch
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Header image width standard is not 640 pixels. To keep compliant with the idiots who use 800x600 screen sizes the max header width is usually around 780-740 pixels.

Images are used to simply create what code cannot create. For example, if you want a cool looking header for your site, you need to use an image so you can create something attractive. Straight lines, text, and spacing are the typically things that can be made with css and html. I've also read those articles about six years ago. My site loads in nine seconds and it looks like it was made completely in photoshop.

1. You site lacks a contrast of color IMO. It feels very flat.

2. You need to fit all the content under the header to make the site feel more coherent IMO.

3. The navigation on the left is not idiot proof. The only way to go to another page is with those stupid + signs on the right of the text, that should be each link.

4. The small font size is also annoying. I hate trying to read small text. I can fix this on my own, of course, but the average user won't want to read pixel text.

You're getting there, but you need to lose the table percentage and start researching the new web standard (CSS and DIV tags). You should look at my site to see what I'm poorly trying to explain.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    zionlocke, I never said that the max size was 640 x 80, I said that the standard size was that . I have it in a book called Fireworks 4: Expert Edge.

I'll have a look through it and see if I can find the exact paragraph later
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Remove Ads