Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys, I figure I'll get some opinions on this new design for my site.

http://spiralalchemy.pt.vu

Some of you didn't like the last design because the navigation was too complicated. So this one has a really basic navigation system, but I think the theme is cooler.

The main inspiration for the design came from a box of my grandfathers old papers from the war, I thought the torn up look of all his papers that went to hell and back with him had a really interesting chracter. So I tried to convert that to my site, but at the same time I wanted to include some modern trendy styles. I'm sure its another love or hate site, but any opinions are welcome.

Flame away
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    well i like the torn/grunge sorta look but its very confusing and complicated imo one thing i noticed is that u made a bar code on the bttom of the left nav which doesnt really fit wit the overall theme but thats jmo

Member #
    I love the look.You have great textures and you really captured an old weathered look but still somewhat modern as well. Great job.
    However,to the average person going to your site this is a VERY confusing page..espically your homepage.If this was a personal page I wouldn't even bother bringing it up,but if you hope to attract customers and make money,you might consider simplifying the homepage and make navigation clearer. The main thing to remember is that what seems obvious to you as the designer,is not always so obvious to someone who knows nothing about design looking for help.

:EDIT: I have given your site a 4 out of 5 Overall only because of the unfriendly navigation.. however i give a 5 out of 5 for pure design and "look".. not taking people having to find their way around into consideration.
    LooseCannon Design
    Friendly, affordable webdesign.

Member #
    I don't really understand how the navigation is confusing.. Its a bar straight across the top just like every other website on the internet?

Plus there is a link to the only important part of the page (portfolio section) in the middle of the frontpage? Hmm..
    spiral.alchemy

Member #
    What I mean is that, yes you have the main navigation across the top but it blends in with the graphics you have so its not really so obvious..I only know that should be considered the "Main" navigation since you just said it right now. you have that left sidebar that really attracts more attention than your main one. You say the important part is in the middle of the page, but you have so many other things going on as well you really miss that.I don't want you to think I'm being overly critical of your design because I'm not, I really like it and I think its creative.Its just not easy to navigate to the average user in my opinion.
    LooseCannon Design
    Friendly, affordable webdesign.

Member #
    Oh I'm not worried about being overly critical or anything. I guess I just have more faith in the average users ability to read.

I'll see what I can do about making the left side stand out a bit less.
    spiral.alchemy

Member #
    I quite like the look of the site, though it isn't my thing. However I think that it could be made larger, with increases in font size and proportions across the boad to be honest.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    The site is designed for 800x600, I'd rather have the site look small for some people than forcing the poor 800x600 people who are stuck in 1995 to have to scroll horizontally
    spiral.alchemy

Member #
    I think centralising the site would make it look better for users on large resolutions.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    I'll try that later today, thanks for the suggestion.
    spiral.alchemy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads