Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

www.tis-manufacturing.com

Hello. I'm looking for opinions and constructive criticism of my website.

All thoughts welcome

Member #
    1. Change your banner's width at the top. I'm using 1280x1024 resolution (much higher than the average web surfer) and it barely fits. Most people design their sites with a max image width of 740 because the average surfer has 800x600 resolution and some of that is taken up by scrollbars/sidebars.

2. You have a lot of images for the roll-over effects. That means to view just your home page a user needs to download a lot of files. Sticking to plain text will keep bandwidth usage down on both ends as well as allow people with images off to view your website. If you take a look at CSS, there is a simple way to achieve the same effect with just a few lines of code. Define links to draw a 1px left border, and when hovered over, define them to not draw that 1px border.

3. If your target audience reads left to right (which I'm assuming since it's in english) then order your top links left to right in order of importance. I care about your services and rentals more than I do your company history and contact information.

4. The java applet on the right does not appear clickable. Change the cursor to the standard hand pointing for links when the cursor is in the applet. Also, you may want to offer a non-java version for those without java supported browsers or who have disabled it. Something like "Don't have java? Use the links on the left to view our products." If someone visits and java is disabled they'll get a blank box or an error message and they may become discouraged or feel that they are missing content.

The site design itself looks pretty, but don't forget that useability is just as important.

Member #
    My browser crashed the first time I loaded this page. I agree that since the navigation is just text, you should not use images. If you don't know CSS, just create regular links and paste the following code in the head page of your document.

<style type="text/css">
    a { font: 12px arial; color: #000; text-decoration: none;}
    a:hover { color: #C00; }
    </style>

If you know CSS, then I'm sorry for insulting your intelligence, but I had a heck of a time finding out how to do this before I learned CSS.
    Kurt Sprinzl
    Eternal Studios Web Development

www.eternalstudios.net

Member #
    I'd suggest getting rid of the Java applet alltogether, since some people (See: me) don't have java applets set to load.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    Update

I have updated the main page of my site using some of the helpful advice I received. What do you think?

Member #
    The word written in red under the company name is barely leiglbe at all, it forces you to guess what it says by using other things on the page as a guide. If want to display something that small you may wish to look into bitmap/pixel fonts.

On every page you change the format of hyperlinks, it doesn't come off as very consistent.

Other than the resolution problem already mentioned it's a nice site.

Remove Ads