Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Alright so here is my newest portfolio design. Basically its in the beta stages and I know it does have quite a few technical issues but I would like input on the menu structure and general feel of the thing. Good, Bad and Ugly I want it all.

D.G. Nicholson

Thanks in advance

Member #
    Looks good, its a bit plain for my tastes, but it gets the information across.

One thing though, with the thumbnail system you have for the web portfolio section, you may have some problems when you have say.. 20 websites under your belt. It'll get awfully crowded very fast.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I rather like the nice clean approach you've adopted for the site design. Others may call it 'plain' or suchlike - I'd go for legibility every time.

My first impression was puzzlement, though. Your first page is not terribly 'introductory'. Depending on how I'd found your site, I'd be pretty much at a loss to know what it did, from the first page. Introduce yourself and tell me why the site's there and what it does.

Then there's the Profile and Resumé bits... I never know what to make of those on portfolio sites (though they're usually there, so maybe I'm in a minority on this one). If I'm interested in having you design something for me, why would I want to know that you like mountain biking, et cetera?

Just show me some stuff that impresses/convinces me and off we go.

If you're sold on having a Resumé, why have it only as a download? Show it onscreen, with download as an option, perhaps? If I'm interested to read it, don't make me wait.

On the Print page, there are several instances of "logo's" being used as a plural. Drop the apostrophe, and it's correct. Same goes for "graphic's".

Overall, I liked the approach, but take a look at the site from the POV of someone who's arrived there for the first time, knows nothing about it, and whom you want to invite to look further...

Good luck with it in the future.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Uhm... Not much to say because portofolio sites are meant to be on taste, I can't help you with design only with technical issues.

Uhm, your site looks like a screen shot. (was a little too harsh there?) No, but its true. Its looks like you oculd make up your mind if you wanted to center the page or not. Or as I said took a screen shot and just edited it in. You can get rid of this just by centering it the right way, or working in percentages.

Next, nothing actually stand out. What is your biggest accomplishment etc. Brag till the page ends (do it suitle, but still do it). People are there to learn about you, don't be shy to write about s great site you coded.

Oooo ,another important thing, I flipped to your website, and nowhere except for in your resume could I find what the D stood for in your name. That is probaly the first thing people would want to know in a profile.

Member #
    Alright I took in account most ( :cheeky: ) of your suggestions and here is the a newer more complete version. Let me know what else needs a changing.

Thanks in advance

Remove Ads