Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: my first site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

looking for feedback on my first website.

the site is full coded by hand and done with CGI perl.

every page is drawen from data base info using mysql.

the whole thing is running on openBSD from a 256Mb flash card.

I have allreay been told that a election of diffrent fonts might be a good move, question is what fonts??

Member #
    so me thinks that the URL would have been good to put in that post.......

http://robsonde.no-ip.info/

Member #
    I don't know about fonts but for a first site hand coded with CGI perl you did pretty well.

Understand that visitors wont care that it was hand coded, they want graphics and clever color schemes and such. You did good, just make sure you don't stop there.

Member #
    Well done for the first try and thanks my second name is cooper and now i know what we used to make lol

Member #
    Didn't know what to say. I don't know how far you are a beginner. So i'll just do a regular review.

You've build a great foundation for a compleet website here. With a little shuffeling, google-ing, and graphics design you could make a great site out of this.

Lay-out - Little standard but ok for now. Search bar isn't neccesary at the top and the bottem. 1 will do.

Design - Ok, I hope this is just the foundation, you need fillers. People don't care about what a site does if it doens't look good. Next teh purpose of your site isn't obvious. From your header I understand you answer questions, but looking at the body, there is nothing apparent, not even a big yellow or red button saying ask a question(of course it doens't have to be a big button).

Dbase - The purpose of a database is to automate everything.

Generally - A site like this would make a good past time, anyone can have a laugh trying to come up with smart mouth answers to questions(this is meant as a joke). But you'll need some real content for your site. Like actuall questions and answers.

Member #
    [QUOTE=Burnerp]Didn't know what to say. I don't know how far you are a beginner. So i'll just do a regular review.

You've build a great foundation for a compleet website here. With a little shuffeling, google-ing, and graphics design you could make a great site out of this.

well this is the first site i have done, i have no traning it html or graphics. i am a unix admin who can code in perl :-)

the site is always going to be "a work in progress"

my bigest thing now is to get the people to come in and asking questions.

I am getting about 10 hits a day which is cool but i am not getting the questions so much.....

Member #
    about the fonts: always use sans-serif fonts on the net, it's much easier to read. Serif fonts have that little trailing "thingy" that act as hooks for the eye. This is good for print, but on the monitor it just messes things up.

some examples of sans-serif fonts: Arial Helvetica Verdana Tahoma Geneva. I think these are the most common sans-serif fonts.

Making a website is more about content than flashy graphics (just look at the w3c siite :classic: ) Maybe you should focus more on questions in the area of your expertise.

Member #
    Hi

Nice site, and as was said above, it's a good solid foundation. I like the idea of the site too! Now for slandering whatever you have:

My major gripe is the right hand side column. The "f" in "fact of the day" is not capitalised, but "Do you have a question?" is. Make sure they look the same. Also, "click here.." should be proper cased.

Further, the "Donate" section is centered, but the "facto of the day" and "do you have a question" are left justified. I think I know why you did that, but I would argue that you need a horizontal rule between them. Maybe even a change of font...

Which brings me to another comment: You use the same font throughout! Try playing with different fonts - I bet you it will look a lot better. Try verdana, helvetica, and arial for sans serif fonts, and garamond and georgia for serif fonts. Also, check the left hand side column to make sure it looks like the right hand side one.

Still on fonts, the "toolbar" at the top (containing the search form) needs a lot of work. Firstly, make the font display smaller than (at least different from) the rest of the page. Also, at the moment the word "Search" is the second biggest font size on the page (after the main green-glowing heading).

Finally, a little bit of coding for you to do: if someone types in a random question number, the scripts prints out just "Q:" and "A:". A little helpful error message would be a nice touch.

Also, have you considered a random question link? A little bit of coding would create a link that takes the visitor to a random question. You could even embed that into your home page to keep it interesting.

Privacy Statement page: You have two headings in bold ("Data Collection" and "Security"). The first one is inline with the first line of the section, and the second is on a line on its own. Again, consistency. Also there is a typo: "...collect and store your IP address for security resions" should be "reasons".

Hope this helps
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Remove Ads