Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

tekart

hand coded with css layout

<introduction>
    name: Jack
    </introduction>

just 'cause I'm new here and an intro was needed :classic:

I've been in and out of web design for the past two years, and I've always used dreamweaver for layout, knowing no html. This is going to be my future blog/homepage design.

actually, this is the second webpage I've ever made, the first one was a year ago and looks really bad... if you want to see it, it's only one level up on the server. I recently (few hours ago) learned how to do css design, and I'm just experimenting with the layout right now.

It currently uses absolute positioning, but I will make use relative pos and a wrapper div as soon as I learn it. And yes, I'm aware of the alignment error on firefox, any ideas on how to fix that?

C&C?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Welcome to the forum.. First off your site takes quite a while to load, that might be more to do with your host.. After reading your introduction I highly recommend learning to code by hand. DO NOT TOTALLY RELY ON DREAMWEAVER or any WYSIWYG editor for that matter. I do not say that because I am a coding purest, but because I know the shortcommings of these tools. Just as if you wanted to be a successful muscian you would have to learn how to read music, you have to learn the code to be a successful web designer. You might skirt your way around a bit but it will catch up to you. Ive been doing this for many years and every person I have encountered that relied only on dreamweaver failed eventually, or was forced to learn the code. The sooner you learn it the better. Then after you learn the code you can start to use tools like dreamweaver to make coding easier.

As far as why the alignment issue, that is caused because you have that coloum 1000px tall and have a 12px of padding and a 1px border around it. It is a box model screw up on the part of internet explorer, not firefox caused because you do not have a DOCTYPE in your document. Basicly what SHOULD happen is your box should be 1026px high(1+12+1000+12+1=1026) but IE makes it only 1000 and squeezes the padding and border inside of the box. This also applies to width. The good news is there is a way around it. Put a proper Doctype on your document and use the famous box model hack to help out older browsers. I personally prefer the modified simplified box model hack(less code)..

Member #
    header takes a while to load (u should slice it up into multiple cells, the lined bg is annoying when scrolling down the page, overall its ok but kinda borring imo but im assuming it will be more interesting with some sort of content

Member #
    I'm currently using a free host, so that's probably why it takes so long to load. Right now, the entire page with images is about 30k.

friends have already told me to change the lined background, so I will definitely make it solid.

I completely agree with glaykk about dreamweaver, it's good in helping to learn the code (type it code and see results immediately), but gets in the way in more advanced designs. That's why I completely hand coded this site, to learn css design and become independant of wysiwyg tools.

oh, and thx for the fix. That's the kind of thing you never find on web tutorials.

oh, almost forgot. slicing up the header would only make it appear to load faster because the user can see the progress while it downloads. In reality, the excess server requests would actually slow down download. The graphic is only 23k, and should load much faster on a better host, unless there's some other reason I should do this, I think I will keep the header the way it is.
    :classic:

more edit...
    I stuck to a simple and safe layout 'cause I'm just getting into this stuff again, and I want to make sure I have the basic skills before I try something more creative. I'm sure there will be some better layouts in this site's future.

and cells? do div tags and css support cells like tables? confused...

Member #
    Loaded instantly for me. Looks great, and its cool to see a fellow BCer on the internet

(Langley represent!)
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    cool, I'm from burnaby.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack000
    and cells? do div tags and css support cells like tables? confused...
    I am not really sure what you are wanting to know.. are you asking if you could emmuliate tables/cells using divs and css? Yes and no.. If the situation genually calls for a table you should use a table. But using the float property it is possiable to do a table-ish type layout.

Note: I was in burnaby not long ago on a buisness trip, vancouver is a nice city..

Member #
    oh, the cells comment was about misterphotoshop's suggestion of slicing up the header into "cells". I guess he only meant cutting it up and reasembling the parts in the code.

Member #
    updated at original link.

I added the doctype statement and readjusted the widths. It should look fine now on all browsers.

I got rid of the micro-lines in the background and replaced it with a fixed gradient, like at ala.

code now validates! it's clean.

just minor issues now.

I read the article at ala about making columns run all the way to the bottom, but this requires the height property, which means all pages will have to have the same height as the longest page of the site. Is there another way to do this? I know about the min/max height property, but ie 6 doesn't even support it.

and there is just a tiny bit of space at the top of the page. Not sure what's causing that... body padding is 0 and margins are set to 0.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Add this to the top if your css script befor your body rule

HTML Code:
    html, body {
      padding: 0px;
      margin: 0px;
    }
    And make it a practice to always use this in your style sheets unless you want padding or margins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads