Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I just found this forum, and the people in it seem a lot more constructive than the other one i belong to. :classic:
    Anyway, i have a site that i created for an organization at my school called Student Activites Council (SAC), and I wanted to get some feedback.
    Background: Student Activities Council(SAC) is an organization that brings entertainment in the form of music, comedy, movies, and interactive events to our campus community. The logo was created long ago, and the colors of the group (red, yellow, orange, and black) were done at the same time. So, there is no changing them.
    Thank you!
    raider.muc.edu/organizations/sac/frontpgsac.htm

BTW: if the site doesn't come up and you really wanna see it, try back later. My school's server must be going in and out today.

Member #
    i am so sorry, here is the real link:
    http://raider.muc.edu/Organizations/...ontPageSac.htm

Member #
    well its very different the image quality on the first page (splash page?) is not too good, the title is sideways - that is the title right? SAC?, cant really read the text with that font for some words, some of the pages have an eye burning red bg lol

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by misterphotoshop
    well its very different the image quality on the first page (splash page?) is not too good, the title is sideways - that is the title right? SAC?, cant really read the text with that font for some words, some of the pages have an eye burning red bg lol
    No, the first page is not a spash page (actually, i don't even know what that is ). It is an image created in photoshop with slices. I am pretty sure I optimized it as a jpeg but I know it looks fuzzy and I don't know why.
    The title is sideways b/c i couldn't figure out where to put it...someone suggested the lower right corner of the image. THanks for the input!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    To optomize a jpg is to find the balance between image quality and image size.

By far the biggest problem with this site is it is made almost exclusivly with images. This makes your site very heavy and causes it to take very long to load. This also eliminates any real chance to appear in search results as they cannot effectivly crawl and index your site. In your defence I do see this was created using GoLive, wich is known for creating. Some other nit-picks are the use of tables to position your image slices. Using CSS you would be able to 'stuff' a tremendous amount more 'site' in a small fraction of the space this one currently needs. There are also alot of usability issues like the choice of font, and the placement of text(or lack thereof) or graphics like the logo. The site does not seem to flow efficiently.

Since visual appeal is such a subjective issue I do not want to go into too much detail. But the use(not nessessarily the choice) of color seems to be very awkward, honestly it does look like student work. So in that since that is not bad, but there is alot of room for improvement. Nobody gets it right at first, professional webdesign takes time just like everything else. I can assure you this would have been a trophy site compaired to my first attempts. Just like my art teacher used to say, "No matter how much I teach you, your first 1000 attempts will be garbage, the only real teacher is practice."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    ...Using CSS you would be able to 'stuff' a tremendous amount more 'site' in a small fraction of the space this one currently needs...
    But the use(not nessessarily the choice) of color seems to be very awkward, honestly it does look like student work. So in that since that is not bad, but there is alot of room for improvement. Nobody gets it right at first, professional webdesign takes time just like everything else. I can assure you this would have been a trophy site compaired to my first attempts. Just like my art teacher used to say, "No matter how much I teach you, your first 1000 attempts will be garbage, the only real teacher is practice."
    1. I don't know yet how to use CSS, but i will see if i can learn enough to fix this problem. Are you saying the pages would load better if i did?
    2. Thank you soo much for saying the student stuff. I am in fact a student who is getting very nervous. This is my first real site and it's been ripped apart in a couple different forums. I was getting anxious as to whether i would make it as a web designer. Now i feel a lot better! Looking at other things, I was afraid that people were born seeing these things and it wasn't something one could learn. Now i see that eventually, i can learn these things.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Haha.. no there is no inherit talet for web design, it has to be learned and practiced. Anybody dedicated to it can learn it. The great designs you see today are done by people who have just been doing it for a while. Say you are 16ish years old.. I have been designing in some form this since you were about six or seven, so I have had some time to hone my skill.

What I mean by using css, is that a design using css has the ability to be much smaller then one made using tradional html, especially one based on images(like this one). But that does not mean all css designs will be small. Just like not every recipie made with sugar will turn out sweet.

Or think of it like this since I love analogies..

You could make a house by taking a huge piece of wood and carving out the inside until you have all your rooms, doors, windows, etc... But it would be better and more efficient if you used 2x4/6 and made a frame and laied sheetrock/paneling/etc.. over your frame. HTML is a frame to build on. CSS is your sheetrock/paneling/carpet/etc..

Remove Ads