Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello. I'm new to web design and was hoping to have my site reviewed. I need all the feedback I can get! The development site is http://sdev.bcknds.com

Thanks!

Member #
    First off, nice pic at the top, but get rid of the sound effect (car horn). You might want to simplfy the navagation as when a person first loads the page they may feel overwhelmed. I belive its not the best site i've ever seen, but its ok.

Member #
    Yep, lose the horn.

Cropping emphasis
    This is a great article to read when you've got to include portrait shots of people. It would help alot here, as they're alot of generic looking photos.

Avoid centreing every chunk of text in sight, it makes it akward to read as the start of each line changes every time. Even if your layout is organised well the text inside will still look too busy and chaotic. Centred text is fine for titles, small column widths that contain short paragraphs.

For the main navigation rollover, yellow text on a purple background as opposed to blue will contrast better and have better aesthetics purple naturaly compliments yellow.

Don't underline headings/page titles etc; just don't.

There's plenty of other things to pick up on, but that should be enough to make a noticeable improvement.

Member #
    Trico,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I know about the horn. It was a flash experiment gone bad. I plan to get rid of it.

I've made most of the changes you suggested. I'll work on the rollover colors. I agree about the contrast. Just not that good with the code. I couldn't pull up the article you posted. It keeps crashing my Adobe Reader.

You said there were plenty of other things to pick up on...would you mind pointing out a few more? I really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Member #
    If you want to get the most out of the site you should consider starting from fresh but using what you currently have as a basis to work from. Think of it as giving the site a Spring clean or face lift.

• Making the layout more organised and structured.
    • Pages that are consistent throughout the site.
      • The way information is arranged should be consistent through the use of repertition. Many of the pages should look the same, with the exception of the content.
      • Create a colour swatch and stick with it, don't introduce new colours.
      • Don't introduce new styles. Things like the checked background, beveled table borders etc.
      • Some text links you underline, some you don't. One or the other.
    • Removing superficial clutter and things that aren't necessary.
      • What does 'recipe of the day' have to do with Real Estate?
      • The flash banner comes off as looking cheap/tacky. A static version would do the job more effective.
    • Attention to detail
      • Letter kerning, reducing the gap between the 'H' and 'O' in the word home within your main header.
      • Making sure rounded corners, indeed look round and don't have jagged edges.
      • Text that doesn't wrap akwardly onto a new line (Neighborhood Statistics) button
      • Text that doesn't overlap an area (For sale by owner resources) link.
      • Making use of link rollovers to add interest to a page, they also provide valuble feedback to a user browsing a page.
    • Learn the principles of visual design, then use them.

Attached to this post is a Photoshop mockup image showing what an improved version may/could look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Trico,

Thanks for the well thought out feedback. I'm trying to re-design the site using CSS hoping that will resolve some of my layout flow problems. I liked your layout a lot and am trying to use some of it. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at it and let me know if I'm moving in the correct direction, I'd be very grateful. I liked the clean banner you proposed, but I am fearful of too little information - I think I went back overboard with my new banner design.

http://sdev.bcknds.com/testcss/index.htm

I've gotten a lot of varied recommendations from different people. Yours has been by far the most helpful.

Member #
    Big improvement, it looks more professional, certainly seems simpler and easier on the eyes as well.

A few more suggestions:

Try increasing the margin space of the paragraph within the right column so the text aligns with the image. A similar adjust can be made to the horizontal links running across the top of the page. (See attachments)

If you continue using the 'Homes of the Triad' title as a name plate/logo you will want to reduce the amount of space in-between each line, don't settle for the default that's produced when hitting the 'ENTER' key. Also remember to align it, centred within the space of the left column.

In general not every area of a page warrants the user of a serif font. It makes sense for the main body content as it will help people read large amounts of page copy more easily, whilst it also fits in line with portraying a well established image. Other areas of content you may want to have more clarity, visual interest that contrasts well against another area of the page. (I.e. the right column)

That particular combination of Blue text on a Brown background doesn't work too well. You might want to look into using white, cream or even dark brown as a more aestheticaly pleasing choice. The Blue on Cream looks fine however.

Get the small parts of a design right and the bigger things will fall into place. Empty space is your friend, don't feel you must cram the page full of information, it'll only appear overwhelming to users and not get taken in. Your credit just ran out...

Hope the site works out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Thanks so much for the guidance. Your input has been invaluable. I'll work on incorporating your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Remove Ads