Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey Guys,

Here's my latest site I've been working on after my long hiatus from the web design scene:

http://www.stevenspoker.com

It is my first database-driven site, and I think its coming along pretty good. As the target audience is impatient college kids, I have taken a minimalist approach to the design, with only 1 image (the logo) per page. Since it is using php/mySQL as a backend, it was of the utmost importance to keep the design lean and quick loading.

Right now, Im working on the game calendar code, followed by the classifieds, and lastly the poker tips section.

NOTE: If you are unable to view the site, it may be because it has not been updated on your ISP's nameservers, as I have recently changed hosts. Let me know if this is the case.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Clean and simple, for sure. It's a solid site. it is a bit too stark for my tastes, though you already know it's pretty bare.

The question is, is this what YOU want, or what your users want? I don't really know your users but if I had to venture a guess I'd say gamblers enjoy a bit more glitz. But hey, maybe the Vegas strip would be more popular if all the buildings were white with no neon or flashing lights.

Seriously, looks good but maybe you should put a poll up and ask users what they prefer. Unfortunatley sometimes users tell you one thing but they really want another. If you have the means, maybe, since your site is database driven, you could get another domain, stephenspoker2.com or something and make it over the top graphically to see which one gets a better response. Just an idea...

Member #
    Thank you for the reply bandit, you make some good points. I more than likely will be making the site more flashy over time, my main focus right now was just to get a functional site with all the content up first. I am currently mulling the possibility of some type of background pattern/image, and some other frills to spice it up a bit.

However, I can tell you that, I PERSONALLY know many of the users and future users of this site. And this fact, coupled with the fact that the site will be used almost always in a quick, check or create your games and logoff, type fashion, has allowed me to make such a minimalistic site, because, I have a luxury virtually no web designer has; I know EXACTLY who my target is, right down to the browsers and monitor sizes they use.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    because, I have a luxury virtually no web designer has; I know EXACTLY who my target is, right down to the browsers and monitor sizes they use.
    ah... well, you do indeed have an advantage there.
    good luck with the site!

Member #
    really? no more opinions? :ermm:
    www.stevenspoker.com

Member #
    am i getting boycotted because I havent posted for like 2 months?

Seriously guys, can I get some more feedback on this site?
    www.stevenspoker.com

Member #
    Hey, I really like the site bro... Perfect, simple, easy to navigate... not much else you could do. Seriously mate, just work on the content now - and it will be a solid site, i'll be checking it myself for sure because I love playing poker and reading about theories, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    NO ADVERTISING Inspector Gadget.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    It's simple, nice and clean. Gadget mentioned a forum, which wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd write a more detailed intro. Also, we're not boycotting or anything My excuse: 2 hurricanes down, 1 to go
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    ? but I was seriously offering the guy a good price for hosting if he needed it (i.e. lower than what is in the packages list.)

Anyways, yeah I understand why you guys don't like spamming etc... But I do seriously want to talk about the design of nitsoh (I didn't put the Url just the name!) and there is no other way for me to do that other than actualy posting the name of the website + URL to it, unless you would prefer I take a scrn cap of it and upload it to a geocities account or something...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads