Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://www.skolor.pedc.se/borgar

This is a site for a school; it's only purpose so far to help student who take extra sports send in their diaries. This is done from the contact form, using C# .Net. The site is not finished, but is an ongoing project. (as all sites are, I know)

Things will change very soon:
    - Removing the login feature or developing it so it works
    - Changing the asp:RequiredFieldValidator to JavaScript to unload the server.
    - Removing the terrible square pattern on the outside and replacing it with ... (help!)
    - Changing the colour from grey to a lighter grey in the left coloumn
    - Adding more content, and removing the "dead" links in the navigation (the ones with * in front). Will be replaced by links with content.

Try to navigate to the links page (just click around - it's swedish) and play reverse - it's really fun.

Please comment on the design and the solutions. I know I can do it better, but it's not the bad or? I've taken all the images on the site , except the runner-image.

I wanted something which was easy to understand and navigate, and still looked good (don't all want this?), but still encourage to think in a new pattern - navigation where the ads usually are - this means people (which I have seen see the site for the first time) will try to find the links to the left =)... After a few seconds they realise where they are...

I'm also thinking of adding a perhaps 10% opaque background image under the text.

Any tips about what you could have on the first page? Remember that this site will be listed (why haven't they listed it yet???) on google, so people who search for Malmö Borgarskola will get it in their search results - so it will also work as an introduction for potential students who are thinking of choosing MB as their school. I'm thinking of an image gallery - there are HUGE amounts of images taken in the school each year. A couple of GiB I guess. (Why haven't anyone else thought of this b4?) The image gallery will have a link to itself on the front page was my thinking, and then students and teachers can log on and up load images to the server, which then, in return shows them on the gallery pages.

If anyone has a good ASP .Net site using C#, and which has script examples on it I'd be glad to know. I'd also need a JavaScript which finds all the swedish letters in the contact.aspx page in the textbox and translates them to ä for example - does anyone here know how to do that?
    Hotmail features a similar script, to turn > to >, but their script only works in IE (since they are Microsoft - suprising huh??)..

I'd be glad for any comments you have and also want to congratulate you for reading all this

//Henke

Member #
    Well, Henke, I can't really fault you with the design. It's nice and clean.

A couple of minor improvements that I can think of, though :-

- On the Dokuments page [http://www.skolor.pedc.se/borgar/documents.aspx], you could have the file sizes for the docs, just a suggestion.

- The title bar at the top is so colourful, it would be a shame to leav it as the same image for every page, try having a different image as the header for each page, or one that randomly refreshes itself on each page. That would be a nice touch.

- I liked the way that the navigation bar on the right resizes itself for the viewing pane, but is there anyway to do the same with the text? (ie when a window is resised to smaller than the width of the text, the navigation bar covers the content) This also applies to resolutions of 640x480 and 800x600, and to a lesser extent WebTV (544x384).

Anyway, good site, shold be great when you get all the pages up.

JM

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by joemarcell
    Well, Henke, I can't really fault you with the design. It's nice and clean.

A couple of minor improvements that I can think of, though :-

- On the Dokuments page [http://www.skolor.pedc.se/borgar/documents.aspx], you could have the file sizes for the docs, just a suggestion.

- The title bar at the top is so colourful, it would be a shame to leav it as the same image for every page, try having a different image as the header for each page, or one that randomly refreshes itself on each page. That would be a nice touch.

- I liked the way that the navigation bar on the right resizes itself for the viewing pane, but is there anyway to do the same with the text? (ie when a window is resised to smaller than the width of the text, the navigation bar covers the content) This also applies to resolutions of 640x480 and 800x600, and to a lesser extent WebTV (544x384).

Anyway, good site, shold be great when you get all the pages up.

JM
    Well, the files are so small it doesn't really matter...

I'll make the header change, sure.

That's a good point, which I will do, but I gotta have some images first. Hmm webtv, I've never seen one in my life
    There is no way to make the text smaller, but maybe I could add a minumum margin for the navigation to the right.

If I make it for 800x600 it'll be just like the rest of the websites out there with tiny text. I won't make it smaller...

Thanks for the comments.

Remove Ads