Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Opinions please

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi there,

I just joined and would appreciate any comments you may have on my portfolio site:

http://www.yvonnerabone.co.uk/index_2.htm

It's just a template as I'm not sure of the layout so haven't gone as far as creating the whole site.

Thanks,
    Yvonne

Member #
    beatiful artwork I'd say =) more content needed perhaps?

Member #
    yeh same with me, nice site! but more content!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It appears to be designed for 640x480, which is going to limit you a lot in the future. Most people tend to design for 800x600 these days... there are very few people still on low resolutions, and as time moves on people are tending to drift higher rather than lower. Most PCs these days will come pre-installed with a resolution of 1024x768, whereas many are on even higher resolutions.

On higher resolutions there is an awful lot of whitespace around. You should try to use that space for something, if at all possible. Maybe you could do something with a background colour, or image? Another option would be to centre the content area on the page, meaning that instead of one huge block of whitespace you end up with a smaller one each side...

In terms of the design it is very pretty, but ultimately very empty indeed. Vertically, I like the horizontal line at the bottom, as I believe that every page should (ideally) have a clear end. When I see a site with text finishing at the bottom of the page and no footer I will often wonder whether I got the whole page, and refresh just in case my ISP has only delivered half... the headers and footers are an ideal place to promote your brand, and clarify all the contact information customers will need. With the horizontal lines you should be able to do that, organised in a way that will look appealing and (equally importantly) deliver the message. Oh, and make sure you keep these two parts - top and bottom - consistent through the whole site.

Horizontally there is no structure particularly to the page, so I assume that you are intending to have a page with open sides and just one text block, filling 100% of the content area? Not sure how well this will work, as the page could end up looking rather boring. You might wish to think about whether you want to split the page horizontally into any form of "areas", or just enclose the content in a box.

As others have said, with so little to go on it is hard to comment specifically, other than to suggest things to think about.

Sean

Member #
    Love the artwork.... You have delivered a great sense of DESIGN by the simplicity of the work... great job

Member #
    Thanks for all your comments, very much appreciated.

As far as the content goes, I'm still working on it, I'm thinking of keeping the sides open and splitting the site in two vertically - a secondary menu on the left and screenshots of my designs and/or accompanying text on the right. The idea is to keep it looking as professional and clean as possible.

Yvonne

Remove Ads