Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Ok, since everyone else is doing it, why can't I?

I just added a drop-down menu to my business site.

Criticisms welcome.

http://www.transio.com

Member #
    Nice design, I like the color scheme and images. A few suggestions: The banner at the top could be lined up better. If the large word Transio was lined up so it didn't cross the invisible axis the images make, drawing a line straight up, I think it would look better. Additionally, you could then line up "a division of..." right over and even with the word Home in your navigation. Finally, I think if the options in your drop down menu were not bold, it would differentiate them better from their corresponding titles.
    A few minor criticisms on a nice looking site!

Member #
    The background looks like fire, and I don't much like that... The word Transio doesn't look very smooth. I don't like the red eye thing on the left, especially if it is a business site. Also, the big transio symbol that pops up is a little to big, try to make them a little smaller.
    I am a 13 year old graphics designer. I would love to make anyone who requests a logo for a price that we can discuss. I have taught myself how to make graphics. I made the winning entry for WebScalpel.com.

Member #
    WOW

The site is very nice. I love what you did wit the flash. I agree with SupraPorsche I don't really like the background. Maybe work on it some more. Other than that the site looks great.

Peace :chinese:

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Thanks everyone for the input. I agree with all the comments made to some degree or another.

Regarding the big word "Transio" crossing the images - it actually doesn't. It's exactly the same width as the collage below. I think it's an optical illusion that makes it look wider because of the curvature of the "o" at the end. Not sure what to do about that, but I agree now that it does look a little funny.

Regarding the "division of" part of the banner, the links used to be graphical links, and were up IN the banner (next to the "division of" text). That's why they don't line up now. I was thinking I had to do SOMETHING, now I know what to do. Thank you.

Regarding the bold items in the menus - that was just an oversight. I had intended to make them normal weight, but forgot to. Thanks again.

Regarding the background.... well, I like it, but I can see how it would be painful for some people to look at. I'm going to remove it.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, I made a bunch of changes to the banner.

It will take a little while for my server to cache them, but here they are:
    • I put "a division of synthelogic" into one line, and above the navigation, lining them up with eachother on the left.
    • I then had the room to shrink the banner to its original height of 50 pixels, which placed the "Transio" logo directly on top of the collage images below it, which I think resolves the optical illusion problem.
    • I made the fonts in the drop down menus normal weight, which differentiates them from the main items in the navigation.
    • Finally, I got rid of the background image that everyone hates and put back the original solid orange color. Any better?

Thanks again for the pointers, everyone !!

Member #
    The navigation bar moves when you mouse over it. I think it's because you have the main headings becoming bold upon mouseover. It moves the whole nav bar, and the graphic above it. Also, I use a 1280x1024 res., so there's alot of orange background showing, and it's a little distracting to the eye because it's so bright. This may not be a problem on smaller resolutions, but on mine it is.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The shifting is because of a black border i added on the a:hover. Because of my server caching, I can't see css changes for up to an hour. I'm gonna fix that now.

I know what you're saying about the orange. I use 1280x960, and I have the same problem with the color. That's why I went with the image to begin with.

Any suggestions?

Member #
    Maybe a gray, or a pattern of some sort...I had the same problem with this site having too much blue, and this design was the solution I came up with.
    (this site is still in progress, I have a thread of my own on the board for suggestions on the design).

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Well, the blue on the site in your sample is less of a problem than my orange, because it's less intense and less saturated, so it doesn't hurt the eyes to look at.

Gray might work, especially considering that all the photos i put in my collages are grayscale (with a hint of orange)

The only problem i'm going to run in to is that orange is my corporate color (orange and black on white). If i get rid of the orange in the background, I'll have to make the logo orange (its default color), in which case I'll have to change just about EVERYTHING.

I think if i go for a gradient map orange to black image in the BG i should be fine.

I'll make that change and post it once done to get opinions.

Thanks again for the advice.

- Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads