Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi , I've been struggling with the layout of my home page in both IE and Netscape 7.0. If I make changes to the markup that fixes a layout imbalance in Netscape 7.0, it just creates a layout imbalance in IE and vice versa. Being that I'm new to web page building and probably will not figure out how to make the page look good in both browsers with the same mark up myself, should (and can I) just use one home page mark up for IE users who come to my website and another one for Netscape 7.0 users? If yes, is there a way to detect which browser a surfer is using and direct them to the appropriate version of my home page?

As a side question (and rant): What is the deal with these %$#@ browsers?? I can't get past making my home page compatible in the latest versions of IE and Netscape, let alone other and older browsers- I can't imagine what they'll do to my page.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Welcome to web design

My suggestion would be to try to make a page that looks best in both. It may sound like more work, but maintaining two simple sites in the long run will probably be more time inefficient than maintaining one.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yes, but it's time I'm willing to invest if it gets my site launched sooner. I'm also wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to fix it to work in both browsers with one mark up. I can always get a professional to look at it later.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    duck444: there are various JavaScript code snippets that will allow for browser detection and redirection. A sample appears below:
    Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
    if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer')
        location.href = 'y.htm';
    else
        location.href = 'x.htm';
    //--></SCRIPT>
    (Replace x and y with your own page values and you get the general idea.)

Mind you, as filburt pointed out, the long run indicates that it's always much easier to design cross-browser compatible pages than to worry about two separate sites. If you do have to make a choice, though, I would personally choose an IE layout over a Netscape layout because IE has a much larger market share.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

JR
    Member #
    Making two different sites for netscape and ie is not a good idea, however if your site is small and does not need updating regularly then you could try this code for redirection...
    Code:
    <script language="JavaScript">
    if(navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer"){
    window.location="msie.htm";
    }
    if(navigator.appName=="Netscape"){
    window.location="netscape.htm";
    }
    </script>
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks,TheGAME1264, jravenscroft. Actually, it's only my home page that has the problem in Netscape 7.0 not the whole site. The other pages look fine. So I guess it won't be as much work as your perhaps thinking.

JR
    Member #
    lol the game beat me to posting when i was typing it
    JR

Banned
    Member #
    What are you using for your page?

what presents the problem?

running away from it won't do you any good in the long run.. sooner or later you would have to learn what different browsers bitch about and knowing how to fix it might put you ahead of your competition.. so it's definately worth it..

if you're serious about web design that is

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Originally posted by ivcho
    What are you using for your page?

what presents the problem?

running away from it won't do you any good in the long run.. sooner or later you would have to learn what different browsers bitch about and knowing how to fix it might put you ahead of your competition.. so it's definately worth it..

if you're serious about web design that is
    Well, I don't have the page published on the internet. I'm doing it in notepad so the only way for you to see what I'm talking about is for me to post or e-mail you the mark up so you can slap it in note pad and see for yourself. Do you have NN 7.0 and IE 6.0?

Banned
    Member #
    I have every single browser you can think of

exactly for problems such as yours

I probably won't have time to look over your site and test it properly cause I have a lot of projects on my head right now but you can post snippets of code here that you think present a problem and I'll try to help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads