Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've been having conflicting opinions with my design manager for our corporate website. She has 20 years of design experience but no real experience in web development / design. I tried to explain about usability and search engine capability, but that doesn't matter to her. This site is all graphics including text, I can't convince her that this is a bad idea. The navigation is not user friendly. But maybe it's me. I'm just the developer here and would love some more feed back. This site is not complete and I only have a few pages working,(about us and portfolio) but if you could go through it and let me know what you think, I would really appreciate it.

thanks
    Carrie

fhai.com

Member #
    I'm not feeling it.

Usability is bad. And usibility is more important then design. But, you can have a better design then your current one and still have great usibility.

Take http://www.farwoods.com/ for an example. Great design AND great usibility. They use CSS and strict XHTML. The navagation is textand it has access and tab keys defined. They havea aural style sheet for those who can't here. The only problem is that its in german and I can't read it.

Tell her that you can have great design AND usibility.

[PS: No splash pages, that was so 1990's]
    -GeZe

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Do image alts help SEO?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Yes, I believe they do.

I don't like the design, I think it's horrible, and I struggle to use the site quickly even as a full abled person. If worst comes to worst, just sue her. She is neglecting the obligation she has to provide a service that does not discriminate on grounds of physical and mental ability.

Also, poor useability make it difficult for people without disabilities to use. It pisses people off.

Member #
    Get rid of the intro. (that's not even to be called like that + it goes very quickly)
    What else.... Nav is horrible! The content & everything you based it in images.(not reccomended)

Member #
    Yeah the navigations very slow to use, having to click on something bottom left and then having to move your mouse all the way to the other corner is not good.

Graphics for text? :S
    Nothing to see here

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The nav reminds me of the godawful Windows XP start menu. You have to make sure you don't bump into any links on the way over to the tiny menu from the main nav otherwise it'll change and you'll have to start again.

I would grab a few random people and ask them to use the site while your design manager watches. She should realise how awful the design is when she see the reaction of the testers.

Member #
    Usability is very important, indeed. Tell her that without making a site usable, it's gonna have less customers/visitors.
    Just look at most of big sites, most of them are pretty usable, or very usable. See deviantART for example, it's one of the most usable sites I've seen, while having a really easy to the eyes design, and very light in transfer too, as bandwidth is a issue for them.

You can learn about usability here: http://www.useit.com/
    That guy (Jakob Nielsen) is a usability-maniac. I don't share his point of view at all, but you can learn a few things there.

Remove Ads