Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Alright?

Any chance you can check out my site? It is www.approachandidentify.co.uk

I am having a whole load of trouble with nearly all XP users who have a service pack 2 - which thinks my site is a pop-up!

Remember to give criticism - provided it is constructive!

Thanks

Member #
    Identify... Hmm, I'd like to be able to identify what on earth to do with your website? Took me at least a few minutes to discover that i could hover on each of the 15 numbers, which gave me a nice pink hard to read on my LCD font description. I'm afraid I don't like your novel approach to mystery meat navigation at all.

The reason XP thinks it is a pop-up window is because it is!! Read the html on your index page. Why not have the other page as your index page, instead of it trying to pop-up a specially designed box? I don't like people that do that, keep it original and how it should be done
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"/>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="scripts.txt"></script>
    <head>
    <title></title>  
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
          window.open("o.html","ArbitraryName","fullscreen=yes"); window.opener=self;window.close(); 
    </script>
    </html>
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Thank you, justlivyalife. I do not understand you, but thanks anyway!

Member #
    Your index.html page (the one you to go to start with, has the following code in:
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
          window.open("o.html","ArbitraryName","fullscreen=yes"); window.opener=self;window.close(); 
    </script>
    This causes a pop-up to be initiated to load the html file 'o.html', this is why windows xp gives you problems. What I suggest you do is to delete your current index.html, and rename the pop-up (o.html) to index.html .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Pop-up blocked, sorry no special treatment.

I recommend you display it in a normal browser window.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I get a nice blank page.

window.open("o.html","ArbitraryName","fullscreen=y es"); window.opener=self;window.close();

Why??

Don't do it. Behave and have a normal homepage like everybody else!

Member #
    Hmmm..

I don't see anything in Firefox with Pop-up Blocker turned on. When i click your link, the window opens and then closes right away (it's blocking your entire site as one big popup)!

Looks like you need to drop the whole pop up thing... or at least provide us with a link to the actual page... not to the index page.

Member #
    Thanks people for your input. However, the reason for the current index page is because i want my site to display in FULL SCREEN MODE. The future. I know many people do not like full screen and refer to it as claustraphobic - but hey! that is because they are not used to it. Come 10 years - it will be commonplace.

Thanks

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    More like the past. A few years ago it was quite common for websites to do this. Now modern browsers and Windows security has as good as stopped the practice.

By popping up in full screen mode you are removing the standard functions of the browser, something that visitors don't like and is usually met with a quick Alt-F4 by those technically competent, or confusion by those who aren't.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the site on a PC which will allow it and I can't tell you strongly enough that it's a bad idea. It covers the windows taskbar and startmenu along with all the browser furniture. It might be cool and progressive to a small subset of visitors but to others it's an intrusion. Many, many people are incapable of getting to anything else once they've lost the desktop and this is going to force a lot of people to end up rebooting their machine.

If you must do it at least put a "Click here to close this window" prominently on the site.

On another note, running two monitors and opening the site on the secondary monitor causes the fullscreen window to open on the primary monitor, something which would force me to close the site even if I wanted to persevere.

It's a nice idea but dominating a users PC is something that websites haven't graduated to yet, Doom 3 can take over and I'll be prefectly happy because that's what I expect it to do but a website needs to stay in it's place and behave like a website.

Remove Ads