Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi!
    New version after the bad old one.
    http://www.swedendesign.tk

I only want good comments . (joking)
    Well, almost. Validates as XHTML 1.1!

//Henke

EDIT
    Changed validation to 1.0 Trans. to make it easier to build. 1.1 is too strict and I don't like all of it. (img. map removed for example, or rather doesn't work)

Member #
    First of all, I think it's really neat that you're in the International Baccalaureate Program; I myself earned said diploma a few years ago.

Now, on to comments... You said at first to be nice, but I believe nice and constructive somewhat contradict, so I'll say this as a disclaimer: Your site is very attractive. The nav, layout and site map are user-friendly, but there are still some issues.

From your site:
    Outdated software
    First of all welcome
    Unfortunately you are using Internet Explorer.

This site will not display correctly using this browser. Please use a better browser, such as Opera or Firefox.

Read more about why Internet Explorer isn't just as good as the newer browsers below, under the heading: the right of this page looks strange
    While I agree with the statement, if I was not a designer, I would probably be upset. The average person only has ONE browser and most of those people use I.E. so until it changes, deal with it. Make an alternative version, don't point out the flaws (because otherwise nobody would realize it's unintentional) or suggest the person download Mozilla because the site would look better. Right now, I think it's kind of condescending.

Your header graphic is too large. Your name is difficult to read in the corner. Same applies to the orange fire and the navigation.

Okay, allow me to be the first to comment on your portfolio...

It starts off right. But then say bad things about your own designs. Granted it's an older version, and you've improved, but really, it's best to let the portofolio do the talking. And, as a personal preference, I'd label it "SwedenDesign Version One" instead of just Version one.

The information for Kindberg filmproduktion's is the same as it is for Version one. Verbatum.

Printed Graphics: If there's nothing there, take it out.

Photography: It's always a good idea to use a pop-up for original work so it will not get stolen, but usually people have thumbnails available and a pop-up for the larger image. So, not saying good or bad, just pointing it out. And, if you want to fix this, I'll make you aware, when I clicked the pop up window in IE, it was not large enough to show the photos (without a vertical scroll) and the window size was not adjustable. But it works fine in FF.

"Loved Ones" still to come?

And, finally, I'll leave this up to you, I've established myself as being very nit-picky, but since I do not know if people really want that information, and because this is just a fun site, contact me either here or PM and I'll give you my extra feedback.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thanks for your very good reply DCScene.
    What did you think if the IB then . I myself find it very challenging, and a bit hard to go through keeping my social life intact, hehe.

Back to your comments!

I've changed the IE-welcome message. What about it now? It's not so harsh anymore. (But I mean, I am a webdesigner and I really want my visitors to become aware of the problem with their browser).

The header - I shrunk it late yesterday. Are you sure you are talking about the new one? (This one is only 223 pixels high).

The name (in the header) is now brighter, and the menu items now don't go into the bumble bee's black area.

In the portfolio I changed the heading to SwedenDesign version one and changed the text about Kindberg Filmproduktion. I know about that you normally have a lot of thumbnails, but I need some more practising in ASP .Net before I can create a fully functional portfolio in that manner. On the other hand, this isn't that bad. I've added a nice javascript in the photography-popup so have a look . I also adjusted the size. (just checked the new javascript and for some unknow MS-reason it doesn't work as intended in IE. how suprising ) Well. They can scroll...
    Is there anyway of removing the right scrollbar that's not being used?

Loved ones still to come when I can figure out the object orientated programming part with databases and get this whole site into a database - images and all.

I will fix the headings as soon as I get back from paris . (won a physics tournament partially, leaving tomorrow), but keep the comments comming .

Best regards
    Henrik

Member #
    PS - Smiley parade!

Member #
    Ok .. Here is my review..

I like the site.. It is VERY attractive.. I love the way the fog comes under the bridge like that .. It draws my eyes upwards though.. kind of weird :P.. Probably just me though.. I like the logo and I like those lines at the top right section of the page.. Very nice little touch which adds some class to the design..

The biggest problem I can see with it, isn't really a problem at all.. The design seems VERY square.. The navigation design and the content design is mostly just like every other site of it's kind.. Which impresses me much less than the graphic work..: Header, Sidebar, Content .. Although you did take a departure from normal layouts by not having top links or a footer..

I love the colors.. They work together very well.. Although, on the sidebar the text can be pretty difficult to read..

Also.. On 800x600 res you have to scroll a little bit to see the whole page.. Not enough to matter, but it might get annoying just to see the scrollbar..

The portfolio section looks cool but I don't like how you can click the link even being like 50 pixels away from the actual image..

I also like the picture gallery section.. I like how you used what seems to be DHTML to animate the pictures.. It's very smooth and it's a unique feature that you don't see on many websites..

If I could change anything about the page it would be the way you only use 1 font throughout the site.. and sometimes it's hard to read.. Also the headings like ::heading:: seems kind of.. I don't know.. amateurish? I just don't see that on many professional websites..

Overall, I would rate this 4.5 out of 5.. It is unique but there are some things you could change to make it better..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    I've changed the IE-welcome message. What about it now? It's not so harsh anymore.
    Much better, but you bring up the same complaints in a section on your home page "the right of this page looks strange."

The header - I shrunk it late yesterday. Are you sure you are talking about the new one? (This one is only 223 pixels high).
    I think it's the same one I saw, I generally like to devote no more than 150-175 pixels for the header to allow room for more content and less scrolling.

The name (in the header) is now brighter, and the menu items now don't go into the bumble bee's black area.
    The name is better but the nav is still a little hard to read. Try moving it to the left a little, especially "Loved Ones."

In the portfolio I changed the heading to SwedenDesign version one and changed the text about Kindberg Filmproduktion. I know about that you normally have a lot of thumbnails, but I need some more practising in ASP .Net before I can create a fully functional portfolio in that manner. On the other hand, this isn't that bad. I've added a nice javascript in the photography-popup so have a look . I also adjusted the size. (just checked the new javascript and for some unknow MS-reason it doesn't work as intended in IE. how suprising ) Well. They can scroll...
    All good, only the >> java script is not very accurate (imperfect horizontal scroll) and I ended up having to use the scroll bar any ways.

Oh, and something I didn't notice yesterday:
    I have my links to the left
    No, you don't.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Today I added some pages for the links that didn't work under the 'links' heading. It's not much to speak of yet. Added a drop shadow too and started messing with the headings as to make then better looking.

Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Much better, but you bring up the same complaints in a section on your home page "the right of this page looks strange."
    I'm aware of that and am looking for a better solution to the IE sniffer than JavaScript using serverside code. Then I'll include that page in the menu if the user uses IE I'm thinking.

I think it's the same one I saw, I generally like to devote no more than 150-175 pixels for the header to allow room for more content and less scrolling.
    Yeah... Well, if I do so much of the sky is lost, so I actually think I'll keep this one. Although my plan is to fix a style switcher so I can have many layouts and the user can select the best for him/her.

The name is better but the nav is still a little hard to read. Try moving it to the left a little, especially "Loved Ones."
    Name is even better now after some subtle 'drop shadow'.
    The navigation yeah. I've downloaded Flash and the sIFR, so I'll fix that soon.

All good, only the >> java script is not very accurate (imperfect horizontal scroll) and I ended up having to use the scroll bar any ways.
    Then you are probably using Internet Explorer. I don't really know why it doesn't work there, but I will look into it.

Oh, and something I didn't notice yesterday:No, you don't.

Thanks for your comments and for making me aware of the fact that I actually still can't see the difference between right and left directely, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Physt
    I like the site.. It is VERY attractive.. I love the way the fog comes under the bridge like that .. It draws my eyes upwards though.. kind of weird :P.. Probably just me though.. I like the logo and I like those lines at the top right section of the page.. Very nice little touch which adds some class to the design..
    Thanks.

The biggest problem I can see with it, isn't really a problem at all.. The design seems VERY square.. The navigation design and the content design is mostly just like every other site of it's kind.. Which impresses me much less than the graphic work..: Header, Sidebar, Content .. Although you did take a departure from normal layouts by not having top links or a footer..
    Yeah, that's true. It's actually labelled exactly in those terms in my code, too. I'm going to make the background of each heading a bit different from the original background - which is orange and white right now in the content and links section.
    Do you have any suggestions of how to make it less squared?

I love the colors.. They work together very well.. Although, on the sidebar the text can be pretty difficult to read..
    Yeah. That might be true. I have two options. I can either reduce the contrast of the background which leaves me with less colors or I can create a background (in the ul-box) for the links, over the #sidebar background.
    One third solution I'm thinking of is this:
    http://www.elever.pedc.se/MB/69/textWrap.htm

Is that possible?

Also.. On 800x600 res you have to scroll a little bit to see the whole page.. Not enough to matter, but it might get annoying just to see the scrollbar..
    Yeah. I doubt many use that resolution. But I've thought about it and I know... But as long as you can see the navigation, which you can, you'll have to stand the scrollbars if you're surfing like that.
    On the other hand, imagine a web page optimised for 800x600 on a 1600x1200 screen.
    http://skatteverket.se/ on the highest resolution isn't nice at all. Besides I hope to attract designers and friends and all I know have a higher resolution than that. So I'll leave it as it is really.

The portfolio section looks cool but I don't like how you can click the link even being like 50 pixels away from the actual image..
    Hmm. 25 pixels. Alternative would be image maps or flash (overkill), but that kinda bloats the code, so I think I'll keep it actually.

I also like the picture gallery section.. I like how you used what seems to be DHTML to animate the pictures.. It's very smooth and it's a unique feature that you don't see on many websites..
    I saw the script on a site and thought of my portfolio with that script.

If I could change anything about the page it would be the way you only use 1 font throughout the site.. and sometimes it's hard to read.. Also the headings like ::heading:: seems kind of.. I don't know.. amateurish? I just don't see that on many professional websites..
    That's correct. I've never seen it before. Thought it looked cool . It's gone now.

Overall, I would rate this 4.5 out of 5.. It is unique but there are some things you could change to make it better..
    Thanks for that good rating. I'll continue improve it and I'll post here when it's updated, till it reaches the five, hehe.

PS. Physt have you noticed that all your paragraphs end with two dots?
    This was a long reply!!

Member #
    Haha.. That's funny.. I never noticed that I did that.. Now that I looked at all the quotes it's funny to see all the dots lol..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.

Member #
    well physt. You learn something about yourself every day.
    Added a recommended view of one of my photos on the startpage under "my designs".
    It's a rocommended view.
    Now it's too late. Gotta sleep some - 1:00 am :s.

Cya soon!
    //Henke

Member #
    It'd be a realll pain to set the text in the menu up to go around the image.. It is possible with CSS though.. If you could pull it off and get it to look good that would be a very unique feature.. Here is a cool page about ragged floats..
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...loat/demo.html

Also.. You might want to consider making part of the portfolio image not clickable.. That's the type of thing that is small but noticeable to non-designers.. And could be kind of annoying..

I think part of the reason it looks too round is because it goes from bright orange to black .. Maybe lighten the background.. Or see what it looks like with a white background.. Also .. that red flower in the sidebar might look cool if it extended past the sidebar.. That's the small kind of detail that can really set a site off.. You could do this by moving the entire flower over.. (assuming you still have the source for that graphic file.. Which could make it easier to go around the flower.. or it could even push the flower out of the way so the contrast isn't even an issue..

Member #
    very pretty pictures

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads