Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Critique away

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a new site for a major client - can't show you the proper images, but the ones showing are relatively close. I usually don't use frames, but it was insisted on by the client.

Any feedback woudl be appreciated - the colour scheme is pretty much governed by the client.

View it here: http://www.wildbytes.biz/newsite/

Most of the links are non-funtional, except "About Us" (which only shows a graphic image).

Member #
    It's hard to judge the site without the proper images, and you seem pretty restricted, being forced to use frames and a specific color scheme. Why do they insist on frames? One critique I have is the two different navigation bars you have, one going across the top and one going down the left. A little confusing, try consolidating it into one. I'm assuming their logo is more than a red ball, so I'll leave that alone. It's hard to judge the site right now because you only have a few frames laid out, and the main frame doesn't appear to be laid out, which is important. I'm interested to see how this site progresses though, keep us posted.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    For a framed site (and if I were you, I'd really make a point of telling your client that his/her site is about to visit search engine Death Valley and you assume no responsibility for the failure of the site to be properly indexed and ranked) it's pretty good. I like the colour scheme overall, and the layout is nice and simple.

A few minor modifications: the gradients for the top links are too dramatic so it doesn't really show a gradient fill, assuming that's what you were going for; the logo font is too large (you could get away with about a third of that); and the program pic is really blurry, although I suspect that's by design for illustration purposes.

Other than that, I say go with it. But for the love of all that is Google-friendly, talk some sense into your client. :P
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    I don't know how advanced you are with web design but the site looks terrible..

it looks like something an 18yr old kid who just learned html did for his first ever site..

I don't know how you're going to present something like that to your client.. especially a major one.. but if I was him I wouldn't pay 100bucks for that..

you wanted opinions.. this is mine..

not trying to be a ****

Member #
    Thanks for everyone's input...

splufdaddy: Yes, unfortunately I have to restrict a fair amount of the content and images until the site goes live. As for the frames, that was just a mandatory policy for them, but I've been able to get them away from that, so that limitation is gone - thankfully, as it was becoming difficult given the amount of navigation options I still had to incorporate. I've basically thrown out the first design, which was actually drawn up by the client. I should really have known better than to try and work with it in the first place, but the client does come first. And yes, I agreed with your comment about the two different nav layouts, which I thought odd myself, but did it for the client anyway - at least I've managed to get them away from that design.

TheGAME: Thanks for those positive comments - the fact that this first design was a framed site really did not matter to the client, as they had no need to be properly indexed and ranked by any of the search engines. Their product line is not for mass consumption. The product pic that was shown was blurry on purpose and just for illustration purposes, as you figured out. And, yes, that logo was way too large :classic:

ivcho: The first design was based on the clients concept - in retrospect, I should have avoided trying to work with that concept and gone with my own instincts - you live and learn. Just because a client is a major corporation, doesn't always mean they know anything about design concepts

Anyway, another design is in the works and I'll post here again when I'm finished.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Actually, Delerium, you should have consulted with the client and expressed to them the reasons why you (as an expert in the web design field) believe frames would work against their best corporate interests, and allow the client make the decision based upon that.

Telling your client what to do almost never works. Going against their specific instructions gets you fired.

Just some advice

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    It's all about persuasion.

Find out what's most important to your client, and persuade them as to why their current set of requirements doesn't suit their interests.

For instance, if their desire is to create a product showcase website, obviously frames would not do well, because the confusing navigation of forward and back buttons would ruin the experience for people visiting the site, and the potential impact of the site would be reduced considerably.

However, if their desire is to create a help context site, with a huge index of topics on the left, perhaps frames WOULD suit their best interest.

Your job as a CONSULTANT is to do your best to figure out what their INTENTION is with the website, and then advise them as best you can as to what type of design would best suit those intentions. Then, as a DESIGNER, it's your job to execute that plan.

Banned
    Member #
    only thing that matters is to get paid..

if the client wants Frames.. give him Frames..

then when he realizes that Frames don't suit the site well and wants to fix it.. he'll come back to you and want a redesign

2for1

why waste your time and nerves trying to convince them what's right and wrong... some people don't like that and might look for someone else who listens to exactly what they say.

Member #
    Getting paid is only half of the job...if you build a site that looks or operates poorly, that's a reflection of you too. You should be proud of all the work you do, and be able to put your name on anything. A poor site built w/ frames that don't belong there makes you look bad. Build too many sites to "just get paid" and you could get a reputation as a bad designer. Although it's more work, transio is right (as usual), consult and advise them before designing their site.

I can't think of any other profession where the contractor does whatever the customer wants, regardless of the outcome. A builder won't build you a pool on the second floor of your house (an extreme example), they will advise you where it belongs, and build if for you after a spot is agreed upon.

Designing a poor website in hopes that they will come back to you for a redesign is a poor business tactic. Why would they come back to you if you designed the poor website they are trying to replace? It might mean less money, or a little more work, but I explain how the sites I build for clients will work in great detail, and I'm not finished with a job until BOTH the client and I am happy.

Banned
    Member #
    I think you missed my point..

obviously you're gonna try to do your best etc.

but if the client says he wants frames.. then give him frames and do your best doing it..

if I want a pool on the second floor of my house then I want it right on the second floor and if I had the money to pay for it I'm sure the builders could care less...

then when sh.t hits the fan and I realize I was wrong I'll call the people back to come fix the pool and do a new one in the backyard..

anyway.. that's just how I see it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads