Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

We went through a redesign a few months ago and since then some of our membership has complained about the download speed of the site (less than 1% of total membership is complaining but actual number having the issue may be greater than that). For the life of me I can't find a reason for the speed issues other than reducing the number of graphics on the page.

I also wonder exactly what kind of hit securing every page in the site is having as well. We are allowing members to login to Online Banking from any page in the site, therefore we have to secure each page. Does this really affect download times that much? Or is there some switch in IIS or something that possibly I do not have configured correctly? Or possibly a better way to implement this thing? This is driving me crazy.

Also seems to affect mac users more than pc users.

http://www.wecu.org

Feel free to check out the site and view the code (there are include files in each page that you won't see)

Thank you!

Russ

Member #
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s....org/index.asp
    It shows that your menu + index page is 52.7 KiB big which is quite a lot - I think using CSS instead for javascript in the menu and in the layout could reduce it to approximately 9-11 KiB since you have a really simple layout. Got a few css design tips on my own site, under web design help...
    The security would only reduce speed if you are on slow servers.
    In the menu: no need for fancy graphics - text will do.

//Henke

Member #
    css menu?

Have any resources for css menus? I'd luv to switch. I also didn't want the graphics in the menu but our marketing dept really wanted them. But maybe this will help me plead my case. Thanks for the input!!! Awesome ideas...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s....org/index.asp
    It shows that your menu + index page is 52.7 KiB big which is quite a lot - I think using CSS instead for javascript in the menu and in the layout could reduce it to approximately 9-11 KiB since you have a really simple layout. Got a few css design tips on my own site, under web design help...
    The security would only reduce speed if you are on slow servers.
    In the menu: no need for fancy graphics - text will do.

//Henke

Member #
    There's some good CSS resources at http://www.freelanceforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=146

Hope it helps,
    Ebonny x

Member #
    Got it reduced some

Found a few images that were way bigger than they needed to be...so looks like we went from 59 to 39 second load times on 28.8 kbps. I really need to cut down on the javascript tho.

Going to take a serious look at doing CSS for the drop down menus but from what I've been reading CSS isn't very compatible across browsers?

I know I have one on our Intranet that works in IE but not in Firefox. Anyone else havin these browser problems with css menus?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    aaaahhhh, that's the key word: DIAL-UP.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Hi again

About css and cross browser compability: it differs from implementation to implementation. IE is known for its sucky css support, but it's nothing that can't be hacked fairly easy.

I'd recommend this page which shows you how to build a css drop down and how to make it compatible down to IE5.5.
    (Hate IE! Makes the code bloated and hard to manage)
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
    Then all you have to do is add background colour and images and you're off.

I haven't got any personal css menu resourses just yet. I'll add more in the future, although I doubt I'll get past the number of articles at www.alistapart.com.

//Henke

Remove Ads